Thread: Works 9

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have always used Wordperfect, but my new computer, Win 7 64bit, has Works 9, and I hate it. My question is; Is there a highlight tool in Word. I really liked that in WP you could just drag the tool over words and highlight them in any color. I know you can change the font color. (not what I'm looking for).

Thanks, Twinkie

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could load Open Office (free) and try that instead?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkie View Post
    My question is; Is there a highlight tool in Word. I really liked that in WP you could just drag the tool over words and highlight them in any color.
    Yes. You can only choose from 15 colors and white, but there is a highlight feature in Microsoft Word. I am not familiar with the Works word processor, which may have different features than Microsoft Word. Can you find an icon that looks like a yellow highlighter at a 45 degree angle?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi jscher2000 & Pt

There is no highlight tool in works. I'll try Open Office. If I don't like that, I guess I'll spend $159 to get WP.

I really appreciate your effort to help.

Thanks, Twinkie

Thanks
    One alternative to OpenOffice that generally gets considerably better reviews is SoftMaker Office 2010. It's not freeware, but it's not nearly as expensive as either Microsoft Office or WordPerfect. The list price for a license is $79.95. This entitles you to use it on up to three computers. It comes with alternatives for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. I've only used TextMaker, its alternative to Word, but so far I'm liking it a lot. You can get more info at http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofw_en.htm. If by chance you qualify as a student or teacher, you can get this same program for $34.95.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdiva View Post
    One alternative to OpenOffice that generally gets considerably better reviews is SoftMaker Office 2010.
    Some past threads on SoftMaker Office, AKA Ashampoo Office:

[topic=768690]Another Ashampoo Offering (Lounge forum: Other Applications)[/topic] (Private label version, selling for $60)
    [topic=770015]SoftMaker gives away SoftMaker Office 2008 (Lounge forum: Other Applications)[/topic]

Thanks
    As jscher's posting points out, there was an opportunity in late 2009 to get SoftMaker Office 2008 for free (the company had recently come out with Office 2010). I took advantage of that offer. More recently, as the owner of an older version, I had a chance to upgrade to SoftMaker Office 2010 for a grand total of $29.71. So far, I've been very pleased.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who replied. It was a big help. I did download OpenOffice, and so far I'm impressed with the free version.

Thanks again, Twinkie