New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I try to open microsoft office on a desktop running xp pro sp3 with 2 megsmemory and 40 gigs free on hard drive I get a not enough memory to run microsoft office. I copied the program to an external hard drive and got the same message. When I plugged the external to my laptop the program opens fine. Any suggestions as to what is the problem on the desktop. I have run a clean up utility on the desktop. Thanks, Ray Holt

Thanks
    Hi Ray,

Can you post the exact wording of the memory message for us?

Check Task Manager Process and Performance tabs to monitor how much memory is currently being used.

Also, check this Microsoft Support link and compare any error Event IDs in your Event Viewer logs to see if this may apply to your situation.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    With word I get the message: Not enough memory or disk space to run Word. I have 2 gigs of memory and about 40 gigs of disk space.
    With Excel I get the message: Not enough memory to run microsoft office excel. Please close other applications and try again. I am not running any other programs.
    One thing I might mention is that I tried to reinstall office and the installation fails and says that an error has occurred and the installation cannot complete. I don't know if the two problems are connected or not.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What version of Office are you using?

stuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a guess that maybe your pagefile is either too small or fragmented and that is causing the error message. You could try going to the virtual memory settings in advanced performance options and set it to no page file, reboot (if I remember right) and defrag the hard drive and then set the pagefile again at 2-4 gigs.

If that doesn't help and its the only program it occurs with then you can try starting it from a newly created user profile to see if the problem is associated with just your user profile or if its system wide. If its system wide then the only way to correct it may be to get it completely uninstalled first and then install fresh.

Thanks
    Ray,

Have you checked out the MS Support link I gave you and checked the Event IDs? Other users describing the same situation found the instructions solved their problem. It is rather tedious to read through it all, but essentially there are instructions for use on a Terminal Server as well as a local computer. It boils down to Microsoft Installer permissions when you run Office apps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Holt View Post
    I copied the program to an external hard drive and got the same message. When I plugged the external to my laptop the program opens fine.
    What program did you copy to the external drive?

Is this same program still on you C drive of your laptop?

I have run a clean up utility on the desktop
    What cleanup utility did you run?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The same program is on my laptop and works fine. I am using Office 2009. My cleanup utility is Tweak Now 2009. I have found the information on the microsoft help page and will see if it helps me. Thanks, Ray Holt

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Office 2009 is for a MAC, it that the type of machine you are having this problem with?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.