Thanks
    I want to be able to separate my business and personal contacts, so it seems like the best way to do that is with an additional address book. I figured out how to create it, but how do I move some of my existing contacts into it. And when I create new contacts, how do I tell Outlook which Address Book to save to?

I am using Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2003. Directions for either one would probably get me started.

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I want to be able to separate my business and personal contacts, so it seems like the best way to do that is with an additional address book.
    You would think so, but if you want to synch with a PDA or smartphone, not all of them handle multiple address books. I prefer to keep them all together in one Folder and use Categories. But it's your call.

I figured out how to create it, but how do I move some of my existing contacts into it.
    Select the Contacts through Ctrl-clicking, and then in 2003 use menu Edit | Move to Folder (or Ctrl-Shift-V)... pick the new folder and OK out.

when I create new contacts, how do I tell Outlook which Address Book to save to?
    If you are creating them from scratch, select the appropriate Folder first, then it will save there. However, if you often add message senders as New Contacts, another Lounger will have to help you here, I think they always go to the default Contact Folder, but I'm not certain.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    I am open to using categories for this but I can't seem to get it to work. I went into Contacts and put a contact into the Red category. I adjusted the Inbox view so it shows a Category column. But I expected to see email from that contact shown as being in the Red category, but it is not. Is this not how it works? If not, I can live with that.

When I want to send an email, how do I pick and choose contacts from a specific category?

And how do I tell what contacts are already in, say, the Red category?

Using Outlook 2007.

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Categories need to be applied to every item; they are not inherited across items. When you place "Bob Smith" in a Business Category and his contact information includes his email address bob.smith@megacompany.com, messages from bob.smith@megacompany.com do not automatically get categorized as Business. Sorry. You need to set up a Rule to categorize all messages from bob.smith@megacompany.com to Business.

(In pre-2007 categorization there was no color coding, just text categories, though there were flags, they were not tied together. In 2007 you can name Categories without necessarily coloring them; Right-click any category icon in your Inbox, select All Categories | New enter the category name. Optionally select the color from the dropdown and optionally select a shortcut key from the dropdown. OK out.)

You can filter your Contacts by Category and perform actions on the filtered contacts.
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    OK thanks.
    I've got it set up with Categories and it works ok.
    It does seem usable, but with some shortcomings. I'd still like to look into how it works if I do it with an additional address book.

If anyone has any experience with this, can you explain how to move contacts from one address book into another, and how to add new contacts to the additional address book?

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    can you explain how to move contacts from one address book into another, and how to add new contacts to the additional address book?
    I thought I mostly answered those two questions back in this post - was that answer not helpful?
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    I got so involved in investigating and trying what you suggested with Categories that I forgot that I never replied to what you had said about additional address books.

The addtional address book that I created does not show up as a folder when I go to Edit>Move to Folder. And in regards to creating new contacts, you suggested selecting the folder before I create a new contact, but again I do not see a way to do that. In fact, the additional address book pretty much is never seen unless I go to Tools>Address Book and click the dropdown arrow, or Tools>email accounts>View or change address books.

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    There may be some more arcane reason you can't see that Folder, but you are probably in Mail View - switch to Folder View, your new Contacts Folder should show wherever you created it, probably a subfolder of your primary default Contacts Folder. See if http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...010033869.aspx helps.

EDIT: When you use Edit | Move To Folder, do you see any Folder branches that need to be expanded (click on the + sign)? Do you have a vertical scroll bar on that folder choice dialog that you need to scroll down?
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    I am already in Folder View.

And I expanded all the "+" signs I saw, did not help.

This is not a folder within the existing contacts, it is a different address book. I created by going to Tools>Email accounts>Add A New Directory or Address Book>Additional Address Books>Personal Address Book.

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    What kind of additional Address Book did you create? You can't create a PAB in 2007, and you need a server to access an LDAP. Are you using Outlook 2003? When you go back into the View or Change Existing Address Book, how many address books are listed, and what type are they.

Since Outlook 2002 (?), Microsoft has recommended that users do not use Personal Address Books, but that they use multiple contact folders for multiple address books?
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    When I go to View or Change Existing Address Book, it shows two: Outlook Address Book, and Personal Address Book (Test), which is the one I created.
    The reason I thought an additional address book would be a viable option is because I know that Act! creates its own PAB within Outlook. Maybe that was an incorrect conclusion.

But I'm willing to go with folders if that is what MS is recommending.

Actually I have had 3 folders within my Contacts for years, but I thought that was not the recommended way to have a separate contact list.
    When I create a new email and click the To: icon, I am unable to navigate to those folders. I need to go to the folders and pick the contacts first.
    That lack of flexibility always seemed to say I was not doing it the recommended way.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you right click on the new address book that you created and choose "Properties," you can go to the "Outlook Address Book" tab and check a box to show the folder as an email address book (at least in 2007, not sure about 2003). Does that allow you to see it for the other functions you have mentioned?

Thanks
    Sorry for the delay, I've got some other fires to put out now. But I've been unable to find a place in Outlook 2003 where right clicking on the Address Book does anything at all. And if as John says MS is recommending against using PAB's, then using it will probably be an uphill battle. And the Categories are working ok for us now.

Thanks

Vince