New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Is there something I am doing which is wrong?

When I close Outlook I simply click on the top righthand corner X to close down. Every time I open Outlook I get the following message

Microsoft Office Outlook.
    The data file 'Personal Folders' was not closed properly.
    The file is being checked for problems.
    and a time bar while the check is carried out.

All in a box. Note I have a screen print of the block but can not work out how to insert it into the message! (I've just spotted the attachments so I have attached the word file with the picture in! )

I have Windows 7 and Office 2007 and find the pause while Outlook sorts itself out very irritating, there must be a simple answer to this problem!
    C Arrowsmith
    BA(Open), MBCS, CITP, Dip. Mgmt.(Open)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It sounds as if your Personal Folder may be somewhat corrupted - did you copy it from an older system, or did you create it as a new folder when Office 2007 was installed? In any event, there is a utility called scanpst which can be run against a Personal Folder that will check for corruption. I have had the same issue with Outlook, although after SP2 was installed, it seems to happen less frequently. I personally go to Unread Mail, as I normally have the preview message option set, so that I don't have any message being viewed, then I do Close All Items, and then I exit Outlook. That seemed to minimize the issues prior to installing SP2 - so it really shouldn't be necessary now.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thankyou WendellB but I still have a problem!

I found scanpst but I can not work out where WINDOWS 7 hides its pst file! I even spent an evening trawling though all filders and failed to spot the outlook file. scanpst needs the address to work!

In the mean time I have realsied there is another problem. I have set up rules to move emails from the inbox into named folders. Some work otheres do not and I have discovred that I now have duplicate copies of rules - why?
    C Arrowsmith

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Right click on the mailbox name and select Properties > Advanced. You should find the location of the PST there.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Slight delay as I have been on holiday and returned to find that things have not improved!

I found the PST file and also ran scanpst. It seemed to identify every contact and email in my file but did not explain what the problem was. It then offered to fix the problem provided I purchased the software. Up to now I have purchased small pieces of software but this is the first time I have come across something which will cost me more than 100. Sorry but there must be a cheaper solution especially when there did not seem to be any attempt to tell me what the problems is. After all I do not want to repeat the problem.

So back top the drawing board - is there any other solution? It has already been suggested that the file is too large so I have deleted some of the old emails but I do not want to reduce the size of my contact list.

I am now wondering about exporting the contact list and calendar but I do not know how I can export emails to reload into a new set up version of Outlook - any suggestions?
    C Arrowsmith

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The Microsoft scanpst is free - it's part of Outlook. Are you sure the file is from MS?

cheers, Paul