New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can easily sort files by date in a directory. I'd like instead to see a sorted list of files in a directory tree, so I can see if any branch of the tree is active. How might I do that?

I am supporting a small non-profit. Some of their machines have been used by different people over the years, and old accounts exist on those computers. I'd like to find out if any of the files for those accounts have even been referenced in the last year or two. If they haven't been touched in a long time, then I'm probably safe in eradicating the account entirely to recover badly needed disk space.

Any suggestions for good approaches would be appreciated!

Guy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guy - In your listing, have you tried displaying both Date Modified as well as Date Created?

Tim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope that you have PowerShell installed (Windows 7 comes with it, you have to install it on XP, can't recall the state for Vista though). Open a PowerShell window at the user's home directory (e.g., c:\documents and setttings\username on XP, c:\users\username on Vista or 7 ) and enter this at the command prompt:

Code:
    get-childitem -recurse | sort lastaccesstime -desc | select -first 5
    This command will list the 5 most recently accessed files in the user's directory and all subdirectories.

By the way, I usually backup files to a CD or DVD before removing them. Then if someone suddenly needs a file, I can always restore it. If noone asks after a year or 2 I destroy the disc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter,

Thanks! That should do it. The machines run XP Pro so I'll have to install PowerShell.

Agreed on a safety backup! I don't do anything without a backup!

Guy