3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since July 6, I've been having occasional instances when the browser seems frozen,
    or if it's the mail program, it can't retrieve mail. If I try for some URL or to retrieve mail,
    the PC suddenly reboots.

On one typlical such occasion, when the PC was unattended, one event log item
    kept being repeated, for a half hour, until when I tried to use the internet
    (browser or mail), and then the PC rebooted.
    The "Event Log" had:
    SYSTEM: the "source" as "server", and the "event code" as 2019;
    APPLICATION: "source" as PerfDisk, and event code 2001.

The following items appear in the event log. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The Windows Security Center Service has started. ==
    Performance counters for the WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) service were removed successfully.
    The Record Data contains the new values of the system Last Counter and
    Last Help registry entries. ==
    Performance counters for the WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) service were loaded successfully.
    The Record Data contains the new index values assigned
    to this service. ===
    Unable to read the disk performance information from the system.
    Disk performance counters must be enabled for at least one
    physical disk or logical volume in order for these counters to appear.
    Disk performance counters can be enabled by using the Hardware Device Manager property pages.
    Status code returned is data DWORD 0. ===

The PerfDisk event log item happens over and over before the crash, every time.
    I don't understand the function of the Disk Performance Monitor, but, following
    a suggestion I found in a couple of places, I've gone to the command prompt,
    and to the C:\windows\system32
    and entered
    Lodctr /R
    to see if something would be reset. (I didn't see what I was expecting ---
    ie, "successfully rebuilt the performance counter setting ...").
    I noticed that afterwards PerfDisk appeared to have no trouble operating, for a while.
    But, later I wound up with the same old kind of crash again.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions?
    The trouble (which happens every day or two) started shortly after I ran the
    Microsoft Fixit50459 item for the vulnerability in the Help Center, on July 4.
    But, running the "undo" fixit, and running the final remedy that MS came up with
    hasn't stopped the crashes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to add the following. Searching for DiskPerf error 2001,
    one finds stuff that applies to Windows Server 2000 (which I don't think fits my XPH SP3 system)
    and also people trying recommendations that don't work as expected.
    Just now, I entered "diskperf -y",
    which got me "Both logical and physical disk performance counters on this system are automatically
    enabled on demand.
    Raw counters are also enabled for IOCTL_DISK_PERFORMANCE"
    ===
    I don't know if that will help. Time will tell. I'm shooting in the dark here.
    I'll conclude this post with some of the references I've consulted:
    ============================ begin references: ===========================
    For Windows 2000 server, the following two links:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;296187
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/19...ing-event-2001
    ==============
    For XP --
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...ad.php?t=29069
    which recommends http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4000/rh4065.htm
    ===
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...-frequent.html
    says
    I have repeatedly run DISKPERF -Y or DISKPERF -YD and re-booted. The problem always reappears the first time I run
    ========== end references =================

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would suspect a problem with the network card or drivers before worrying about disk performance counter issues.
    Try updating to the latest network card drivers first. Then try another network card, borrow one from a friend.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I'm just curious..... Doesn't anyone just shut that thing OFF?

Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, Mine is already shut OFF in services.msc .

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul, and Dr.Who. I confess I don't know what a network card is, and its drivers. That's beyond me.
    (I don't have a home network, but I know you're probably referring to something I do have.
    I'm just not that much of a maven. particularly about networking issues.)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The network card is what connects your PC to your router so you can post here.
    What sort of connection do you have for the internet? As much detail as possible please?

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have a router. I have a switch, and that's connected to a Motorola Canopy radio (which acts as the router,
    one could say. It connects with an access point on a mountain 8 miles away).
    If it's relevant, in my "Network Connections" window, I have two icons labeled
    A) Local Area Connection 7 - Connected - Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network..., and
    B) 1394 Connection 7 - Connected - 1394 Net Adapter
    (Note: In all the years I've had this PC, I've never had this kind of trouble.
    And, it's possible that just enabling the Disk Performance item might have been a cure -- I don't know yet.)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The 1394 adapter can be ignored. The Intel card is the network adapter and that seems to be where the problem resides, although it could be disk corruption or other hardware failure, but you said the crash only happens when you browse or collect mail.
    I would un-install the network card from Device Manager, then re-boot and let Windows re-install it - make sure you have any network passwords saved first.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to wait until I get another spontaneous reboot of the same character (see the event log description). If that does happen, I will immediately follow Paul's instructions
    (and if it takes that I'll post that here). I want to maximize my learning here.Thanks!
    Note: So far, I've had 3 days without the crash (since I ran "diskperf -y"), which is promising.
    ==
    Edit(July 28): I just had almost the same kind of hang. However, it might have been triggered by the network going down due to a lightning storm. So, I'm not sure what to conclude, except I was surprised that the disk performance counter couldn't work even though I'd explicitly permitted it a few days ago.
    Anyhow, I took the occasion to renew the network card driver, as per Paul's advice. We'll see how it goes.
    ==
    Edit, later the same day: Deleting the network card driver and rebooting did not solve the problem. It reappeared, in a very similar form, soon after. Too bad.