2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to produce an accdb version of my 2007 mdb app - but Publish is grayed out. What could cause this and how do I fix it please?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Publish isn't used to create an accdb format Access database. Instead you create an empty accdb database with the New database option, and then import all of the objects into the accdb database. Publish is use to push an individual report to a static HTML page, or to push Access tables, forms and reports to SharePoint.

Just a curiousity question - why do you want to switch to the accdb format? There are very few compelling reasons in my opinion.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, so I misread the "Deploy an Access 2007 application" help file - I had jumped down to the "Create a signed package" section which is where the Publish came in. I now see I should have should have done the mdb -> accdX step before that. Why accdb - well I needed to send the app to someone without access and I had done accdb before.

So should X = b, c, e, or r? I don't find the help file too clear. I am looking to create a self contained package that can just be copied onto the target machine and run. So -
    mdb and mde require the user to have access - no good.
    accde does not appear to be a format that has access runtime built in? it needs the runtime installed separately? If yes then this is not what I am looking for.
    accdr - same as accde - only difference is that this is a non compiled format?
    accdb seems to include runtime mode so is acceptable from that point of view? Does allow users to tinker, which for me is undesirable but not critical.
    accdc same as accdb but with a certificate assuring any user that looks that the file is as sent out. Desirable but not critical.

In short what I want is
    Self contained i.e. not needing the user to have access or access runtime, is critical.
    User not able to tinker and getting a certificate are desirable but not critical.

Doesn't that bring me back to accdb or c?

Or should I go for a .msi?

Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Actually, the Access run-time will work with either .mdb files or .accdb files as long as you use either the 2007 or 2010 version. I recommend the 2010 version since it doesn't have the security prompt issue that 2007 has. And there is a packaging product available that will let you install the whole deal - but you end up installing the runtime in any event. I don't know of any way to use any kind of Access database without having either the run-time or the full version of Access installed. And the .accdb format does not include the run-time as far as I know.

There is the possibility of putting the database up on a website or sharepoint, but both have some major complications. For one thing, Access forms simply cannot be replicated on web pages. The other aspect is the development work that has to be done to do such things as develop forms, manage data handling, develop reports, and do data validation. I've looked at both, and the development costs just never work out.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Installing the 2007 runtime is a piece of cake and the Package solution that comes with developer extensions works really well too.

It even has an option to install the runtime to make the whole thing really easy for the user to install.

I've been using this for my clients (without Access installed and running MDBs) and it's been great.

No harder than a vb.net application where you need the .net framework installed.