Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 Home P, 64 bit, IE 8

I have been a satisfied user of Disk Cleanup since mid-90s. I notice now that after I use Disk Cleanup the "Debug Dump Files" and "System error memory dump files" are not deleted. I can run Disk Cleanup several times and these files still come up. The box is checked (selected.) Also, the size of these files are the same, in my case 311MB each. Why? Can I go into C and delete them manually? Should I leave them alone?

??????????????

Phil

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried running Disk Cleanup "As Administrator"?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am signed on as administrator. At least I think I am. If not, how do I open and run Disk Cleanup as administrator?

thanks for reply,

Phil

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I saw that I could select to run Disk Cleanup as administrator. It looked me in the eye every time and I never saw it.

All I had to do was right click and go.

Problem solved. All dleted. I learned!!!!!

Thanks Joe

Phil

Administrator
    Thanks
    You are welcome. Glad you figured it out. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Thanks
    Phil,

Just a quick comment, There is a way to set Disk Cleanup to clean more files than it normally does:

Open a command prompt (use elevated privledges by right clicking and choose Run as Administrator), type "cleanmgr /sageset:99" (without the quotes), Disk Cleanup will open with more clean up options than it normally does. Sageset:99 needs only be run once. afterward Sageset:99 will run with more options.

I actually have a .bat file icon on my desktop that somewhat automates this process:

del /q /s "C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*" (Note: substitute your user name on your PC)

del /q /s "C:\Windows\Temp\*.*"

del /q /s "C:\Temp\*.*"

cleanmgr /sagerun:99

Save this batch file to your desktop as a .bat extension.

You can add or subtract as many temporary locations as you desire. This will delete all files it can (You will see some listed as unable to delete because the file is in use, don't worry about them), the batch file then will run Disk Cleanup with the extra options. (You must use the sageset:99 command once only prior to running the batch file.)

This batch file originally was developed by Fred Langa back in the Win 95 days I believe and still works with Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I've done something similar, but a bit different. (and a whole lot easier)
    I just use the sageset as part of the shortcut, on my desktop, to run the Windows Disk Cleanup program.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35

Copy and paste that blue line into a desktop shortcut and run it often to keep your HD clean. You can put that
    shortcut on a disk or flash drive and share it with your friends. I share it with my customers.
    First time through, you have to check the things you want it to delete. I always select everything but,
    Setup Logs and Office Setup Files.

Then for the folders in user programs where temp files are generated and kept like the ones in AVG,
    I wrote myself a cleanup.bat batch file to delete the files from those particular locations that are ignored
    by Disk Cleanup and several of the patented cleanup programs.

Keeping a squeaky clean HD isn't rocket science, but you do have to "get jiggy with it!".

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
    I've done something similar, but a bit different. (and a whole lot easier)
    I just use the sageset as part of the shortcut, on my desktop, to run the Windows Disk Cleanup program.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35

Copy and paste that blue line into a desktop shortcut and run it often to keep your HD clean. You can put that
    shortcut on a disk or flash drive and share it with your friends. I share it with my customers.
    First time through, you have to check the things you want it to delete. I always select everything but,
    Setup Logs and Office Setup Files.

Then for the folders in user programs where temp files are generated and kept like the ones in AVG,
    I wrote myself a cleanup.bat batch file to delete the files from those particular locations that are ignored
    by Disk Cleanup and several of the patented cleanup programs.

Keeping a squeaky clean HD isn't rocket science, but you do have to "get jiggy with it!".

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Nice Dr Who. The cleanup.bat (yes that is what my batch file is called as well) I use for those unusual areas is what I show. I just include sagerun as a part of it. You can inlude any areas you want to clean manually just by changing the path specified. I especially like the "get jiggy with it"!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Programs started saving their temp files and log files and .bak files way back in the DOS days.
    A 20 meg hard drive could get clobbered up real quick with junk.
    I started writing little batch files to clean out the junk, way back then.
    Then I set up a whole menu system in DOS, with batch files and text files.
    I still use that menu system today, on my Ghost boot disk and my DOS Utilities boot disk.

Now-a-days, it's a lot more complicated to keep a clean system, because some programs store junk in multiple places.
    And, the Disk Cleanup program, even when run in Extended mode, does not remove files created by User Installed Software
    like AVG, Firefox, etc. It only works on Windows JUNK.
    My current XPCleanup.bat program is almost forty lines long.
    My W7Cleanup.bat program is shorter, because I've not found all of Win-7's hiding places yet.
    But, I will, it's just a matter of time. (that is, if I don't die first)

Cheers mates!

The Doctor

PS: I do something that very few other batch file writers do, by using a DOS program that dissappeared with Windows XP. That would be "Deltree.exe".
    It's probably the most powerful and the most misunderstood program ever put out by MS in any version of DOS. this line will delete all the files in a temp folder:
    deltree /y "C:\windows\temp\*.*"

while this line could totally delete an entire HD:
    deltree /y "C:\*.*"

If you don't specify exactly what you want deleted, it just deletes everything in the path.

It still works in Xp, Vista and Win-7 if I install it in the Windows\system32 folder.
    Deltree can delete one file, or a group of files with the same extension like .tmp or it can delete a whole tree structure or even wipe an entire HD.
    How it works is all in the syntax of the command line it's used in.

My batch file that installs my XPCleanup.bat program in a hard drive goes something like this:

@Echo off
    cls
    xcopy deltree.exe "%windir%\system32\"
    xcopy "XP-CLNUP.bat" C:\
    xcopy "XPCleanup.lnk" "%homedrive%\%homepath%\Desktop"
    md c:\myicons
    cd myicons
    xcopy *.* C:\myicons

This should be pretty much self-explanatory for batch file writers.
    That little batch file installs Deltree to the Windows\system32 directory, then installs the cleanup batch file to the C:\ directory and then puts a shortcut to it, with my custom icon, on the desktop. All in about three seconds. That saves me a lot of work. The install batch file is run from my Utilities CD or Flash Drive.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey philav I have same problem but instead of 311MB it is 563MB but not deleting. Please tell me what should i do?
    Last edited by PrasadJ6; 2013-06-22 at 05:42. Reason: forgot to add one point

Thanks
    Just read posts 2, 3 and 4 for his solution.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done it. I logged in as administrator then right clicked on C drive where I have installed my Windows 7 professional then in that through properties I done disk cleanup but still I am getting that problem.

Thanks
    This was a very old thread. If his solution does not work you might try elsewhere.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    can you please tell me how to run as administrator for disk cleanup. I am asking because if i am wrong in doing any step for disk cleanup.

Thanks
    Find the disk cleanup executable file in Start, All Programs, Administrative Tools, right click and choose Run As Administrator.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast