Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My OS is Win7 32 bit.

I am told that I need to set a program to open files with the .eml extension, but the extension is not in the list of file extensions. I used regedit and found the following entries for .eml in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre nt Version\Explorer\FileExts\:

The first entry is:

Name-Default
    Type REG_SZ
    Data (value not set)

The subkeys (I realise that's probably not the right name) are:

Open With List Name-Default
    Type REG_SZ
    Data (value not set)

User Choice Name-Default
    Type REG_SZ
    Data (value not set)

Name-Progid
    Type REG_SZ
    Data Microsoft Internet Mail Message

I used the workaround referred to in various forums to enable Windows Mail in Win 7.

Can you please tell me how to alter these registry entries so that, if possible, .eml files would open with Windows Mail, or, if that is not possible,
    Notepad?

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Set Default Programs or Control Panel | Programs | Default Programs | Set Associations?

At either place you should be able to associate .eml files with Windows LIve Mail.

Joe

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This is what I found for you. Have a go ! I ignore if you can associate these with Live Mail as JoeP mentioned, let us know. They are originating in Outlook !

If EML files will not open in Outlook Express, try the following:
    Open My Computer.
    Select Folder Options from the Tools menu.
    Click the File Types tab.
    Under Registered file types, select EML Outlook Express Mail Message, then click Advanced.
    Click Open, then click Edit.
    Type the following line in the "Application used to perform action" box:
    "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" /eml:%1
    Click OK twice, then close the window.

Your humble servant. JP.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying.

JoeP-I had already tried the various places you suggested, but there was no reference to Windows Mail or .eml in any of them.

Jean, thanks but my problem is not with Windows Mail being unable to open incoming emails. What happened was that after reinstalling Win 7, although I had a backup of all my mail folders, and was able to import most of my messages from the backup, a few messages from one particular sender had gone astray. The person concerned resent them as attachments with the .eml extension and I could not open them. However, when I got the "Windows cannot open this file..." message I browsed to System32 and was able to select Notepad.exe to always open .eml files.(This was after I posted my question}. The problem with opening these files with Notepad is that the messages are not displayed as they would be when opening incoming emails in Windows Mail. When opened with Notepad all the "geek stuff" is displayed as well and it takes time to read the actual message. I would particularly like to be able to open .eml files with WinMail.exe, which is what I assume Windows Mail opens emails with, but have not found a way to do so. On a previous occasion when I lost some emails, I went to the relevant Local Folder in my backup, but trying to locate the emails I wanted to restore took forever, partly because the files seem to be kept in a very random order, datewise, but also because of the "geek stuff" shown when opening the .eml files with Notepad.

If anyone can tell me how I can associate .eml files with Notepad I would be very grateful.

Two final points. Firstly, I am using Windows Mail in Win7, not Windows Live Mail or Outlook/Outlook Express, having used the workaround referred to in various forums. Secondly, when I open Folder Options none of the panes in that make any reference to File Types.

I hope the above is clear, and await further advice.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Well, your problem may be Windows Mail. It is not supported on Windows 7. Windows Live Mail is the supported product.

I am surprised you do not see .eml files listed though.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Joe,

I understand that Windows Mail is not supported in Win7, but it has worked very well for me. The only problems I have had are after reinstalling Windows and finding for one reason or another one or two emails have gone astray. I tried Live Mail a while ago but found it inferior to Windows Mail. Neither text nor graphics displayed as well, and for reasons that I was unable to discover I had more than one Inbox, which caused confusion.

I need to correct a mistake in my previous message. The third sentence from the end should read "If anyone can tell me how I can associate .eml files with WinMail.exe I would be very grateful".

I hope to hear further.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    You can try this link;About.comIf that doesn't work for you.I used bing for your question;how I can associate .eml files with WinMail.exe.Came up with;Bing Hope this helps you a little.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ron,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I did in fact follow exactly the same procedure as is shown in the instructions in the About.com link you kindly gave me before I received your reply, and it worked for a short time, but then the program associated with .eml files reverted to Notepad.I just followed the same procedure again, and this time Windows Mail was one of the 2 recommended programs, the other being Notepad. Obviously I selected Windows Mail-the "Always use this program..." box was already checked,although it was grayed out, and this time I hope the association will stick.I will check tomorrow and confirm.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
    Roy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again Ron,

As I feared,the program associated with .eml files has reverted to Notepad.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks and regards,
    Roy