New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

I'm brand new out here but had a great reference from a colleague that this is a really good site to post questions and learn from others. I sure hope someone can help!

I have Word 2010 installed on my computer. One of my responsibilities has always been an e-mail merge and instead of HTML, we send the Word document as an attachment. For reasons I won't bother boring you with, it is important that what we send is an attachment, not embedded into the body of the email message in HTML.

I have done this for years in 2003 and also 2007. Now I have Word 2010 installed and it doesn't work. When I follow through the process, it makes it look like the program is sending (I have to click the "allow" button), but when I look in my Sent folder (I use Outlook), the message is not there. Not is it in my Outbox. It's like it just disappears. It definitely does not send, as I am testing this and nobody is getting any of the test docs I'm sending.

I'm thinking there must be some security settings that changed in this version that is keeping this from working, but I can't seem to find where that setting is. Do any of you have some suggestions of where to look??

Thanks,
    Heather

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I presume you also installed Outlook 2010, and it is open when you are trying to do the email merge. I've used that often on for years, but have not actually had an opportunity to test it in 2010, so I'm not much help. Hopefully someone with actual experience doing it can help.
    Wendell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I too have not done this in Outlook 2010. Looking online, it appears that you may need a third party tool to allow this to happen.

In 2008 Milly Staples (an Outlook MVP) said you couldn't add attachments but that it may change in future versions http://blogs.msdn.com/b/outlook/arch...e-at-once.aspx

In the past, I remember using a tool called Redemption to allow me to write VBA code which could batch emails with attachments. Although this was free, it was time consuming to build the code.

Another possible tool is the Mail Merge Toolkit I just found mentioned on www.msoutlook.info. You can get a trial version to test it fully before buying.

Let us know how you get on with this problem.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'll let you know what I find, although it might be awhile... I do wonder what and why things would have changed from 07 to 10. I'll look into your suggestions of add-on software, Andrew, and will follow up as well. I would be disappointed, though, if I have to use third-party software to make this happen. Not that I can't load that, but I would really like to know if I can do this without that add-in. I can't help but wonder if there was some change in security settings that is causing this to happen. But so far I haven't found any settings in the Trust Center that have made a positive change. I am determined to figure this one out. Thanks!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently, there is a hotfix fot this problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980681

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks for finding and posting that - quite a few people will benefit from that. Rumor has it there is a SP in the works for Win7 - hopefully it will include that hotfix.
    Wendell