Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hi Guys & Gals,

I just managed to hose my Win 7 32bit desktop installation as follows:

Ran Acronis Disk Director to resize 2 partitions on Drive 0.
    Reduce size of C: Win 7 System
    Increase size of G: Data Partition

The system would not boot! This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Disk Director and of course it's the first time I didn't do an image backup first! Moral of the story ... don't get complacent about backups.

I inserted my Win 7 System Disk and did a boot repair and the system now boots. However, anything associated with Explorer.exe fails! Explorer, Computer Management, Windows Update.....

Rebooted using the System Recovery disk I created back in April. Ran System File Checker ... Repairs pending ReBoot.

Rebooted still no love!

I'm currently in the process of using Acronis True Image CD version {Recovery Media} to image my G: drive since the data is all I really care about, especially my Money backup since the last every 14 day backup on my NAS device was of course done 13 days ago!

Any Ideas other than reinstalling? I did a little googling and there are some mentions of .dll files getting out of sync with each other when you do a system repair.

All suggestions welcome.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Ran Acronis Disk Director to resize 2 partitions on Drive 0.
    Reduce size of C: Win 7 System
    Increase size of G: Data Partition

The system would not boot! This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Disk Director and of course it's the first time I didn't do an image backup first! Moral of the story ... don't get complacent about backups.

Any Ideas other than reinstalling?
    "Your Geekness"
    Hello ... If you have an Acronis Backup (13days old) i would boot up and "recover" to that one from "Windows" Then... play "catchup" with all "updates" and "downloads" If your then happy with things..... do the "backup".... Then re-size partitions .... this time more carefully, and with backup in hand.. Maybe try another "Partition Manager" such as "EASEUS", or "G Parted"( both free) there are a few more floating around as well. This time if you can't boot after partitioning, you could run "TI" from the Recovery disk and restore to the newly sized partition. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred,

Thanks for the comback!

Unfortunately the 13 Day old backup was only for my Money file My full disk image backup was from 27 May!

Fortunately, I managed to backup the entire Data Partition and mount it on another machine to make sure I had all my latest data.

Upon verifying that my data was safe I used Acronis True Image (TI) to 1st recover the Master Boot Record then to recover the C: System drive from the 27 May backup.

This operation was successful, however, I did have to go into computer management and reassign drive letters. Once that was done I had access to all my current data. All that is remaining to do is download all the patches since 27 May and reinstall a couple of programs (all sitting on my NAS device). So I should be back up and running before bedtime tonight...whew

And of course do a NEW FULL DISK IMAGE!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All suggestions welcome.
    Sounds like you don't have an everyday critical data backup plan in place. Something like Syncback or GoodSync can happily tic away in the background every day or even more often if desired.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

And of course do a NEW FULL DISK IMAGE!
    Your Geekness
    Yes.. i confess even as paranoid as i am, i get lazy about backing up also ..... and it will always "burn you" at the worst and most inconvenient time. So i have promised myself several things that i would like to pass on to you and anyone who doesn't want to end up like us.
    1. Never install a new program without either doing a full backup first ,or running in the "Try & Decide" Mode (Acronis True Image Home)
    2. Always make a backup, before installing any "Updates" "Patches" MS or others... no exceptions. ( with Acronis 2010 its just a few minutes ...new engine is "wicked" fast ) For me it's about 7 minutes, older versions as TI - "11" took about 35 minutes.
    3. Never do anything major on your PC unless you have the time (partitioning, adding "HD's", Cloning, etc.) .... If you rush ...you will invariably make errors.
    4.Keep a "Notebook" or "Log" of some kind, and place comments about what it is that your doing.. 3 months from now you probably (if your like me) wont remember what it was that you did.
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred,

Right ON!

At least I took my time in doing the recovery. I was very methodical and thought out the process after 1st making sure I had a good backup of my Data Partition. This is one reason that I always have a separate data partition-much easier to recover from System Partition problems. I didn't have to restore the data partition (G only reset the Drive Letter {this may have been part of what Disk Director screwed up}. I'm doing this from my laptop as the desktop in doing the Full Image.

What I'd like to know is how you image your whole system w/Verify in less than 30 minutes? It usually takes me a couple of hours. I'm imaging to a USB 2.0 external drive booting from the Acronis Recovery Media so Windows doesn't get in the way.

I use SyncToy 2.1 to do my data backups on a fairly regular basis but for some reason I'd gone almost 2 weeks w/o doing one...must be old age.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I like that "Your Geekness", very nice, LOL. Retired we just spent days discussing images. Once you get back to where you were (Going to take a while I guess) please follow the advice to make an up to date image. My philosophy, which I have mentioned in more than one thread) is at minimum a monthly image, and then an image before and/or after any major change. It only takes about a 1/2 hour for me (verify will double the time), and this is time very well spent. My image for my laptop is about 30 GB compressed size and is also to a USB external hd. Sorry for your loss.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='RetiredGeek' date='2010-07-26 18:47' timestamp='1280184453' post='851403'

What I'd like to know is how you image your whole system w/Verify in less than 30 minutes? It usually takes me a couple of hours. I'm imaging to a USB 2.0 external drive booting from the Acronis Recovery Media so Windows doesn't get in the way.
    [/quote]
    "Geekster"
    Hello... OK First off I'm using Acronis 2010 v-7046... and i do a Image of my Windows 7 \ 64 ...or any of my other "OS's" in less than 7 minutes with verify. (Windows or Recovery Disk doesn't seem to matter) My old Acronis V-11 took about 30 to 35 minutes for the same albeit 32 bit "OS's". 2009 i gave up on, too many "bugs" I image to a 3.5 inch internal Hitachi DeskStar The smaller USB 2.0 type "plug into thingies" takes longer (can't remember as i don't do that often) So.... If your using a "notebook" with small drives they will take longer. Also my OS is about 25GB (9GB compressed by Acronis) 2010 "screams" and 7 minutes is being generous ...actually a little faster .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Yes, imaging to an internal HD will be considerably faster than a USB external HD. I also use the same version of Acronis as Fred. It works well, and although I've only started imaging over the last 6 or 7 months, I have had to reinstall 3 times and my image always worked. One time my image was 25 days old so I had to redo a couple of things, but that is far better than a complete reinstall of windows and apps, etcc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ok All,

It just took me 2.5 hours to do an image backup of Drive 0 with 4 partitions using Acronis TI Home Ver 11. Looks like I'll have to invest in upgrading to TI Home 2010.

Drive 0 Info:
    Size: 250Gb
    Partition 1: 55Mb
    Partition 2: 10Gb
    Partition 3: 100 Gb - System C:
    Partition 4: 122 Gb - Data G:

Image Size: 26.5Gb

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    7 minutes !!!!!!!!!!!!

I might have to switch from Macrium to TI. (I will always use Macrium Free as an image on demand system for my customer's machines that I am working on though......)

Thanks
    Ok All,

It just took me 2.5 hours to do an image backup of Drive 0 with 4 partitions using Acronis TI Home Ver 11. Looks like I'll have to invest in upgrading to TI Home 2010.

Drive 0 Info:
    Size: 250Gb
    Partition 1: 55Mb
    Partition 2: 10Gb
    Partition 3: 100 Gb - System C:
    Partition 4: 122 Gb - Data G:

Image Size: 26.5Gb
    Most people state that Imaging a data drive is very inefficient although I am not exactly sure why that is. What is the 10 GB partition 2? I suspect Partition 1 is the partition Windows makes automatically and is not really accesible. The only bootable partition is Partition 3. If you hose your OS, this would be the partition you have to get back. If your data is backed up regularly you should not need to include this in your image. If the 10 GB partition is for your page file, you do not need to image this. With the Partition 3 Image up to date, if you hose your OS again the Image of "C" will get you back to where you want to be. If your hard drive dies An image of "C" will reload your OS, then simple partitioning will get the other stuff back in short order.

I guess bottom line is that your regular images do not need to include all 4 partitions, just the OS partition. The image you already created which includes all 4 partitions should help to set up a new hard drive, but an up to date image only needs to include the C drive and will save a lot of time in doing your images. You may find the Acronis update will help some, but the size of your image has more bearing than the app in your case I would think. I think you will find that the 7 minutes Fred is referring to is for a particular partition and not all partitions on a disk. If he is doing all his partitions on a disk (Fred has several disks in his system) I suspect it will take longer than 7 minutes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Geekster,mercyh,
    Just keep in mind that 2010 is not without a few bugs, and some things are different than version 11 ( for me that was their best ..no bugs on my system) However overall 2010 is much better speed wise, and the feature "Try & Decide" will survive re-booting. Lets you run your PC in a "virtual" mode. I use it for testing out new programs and "web surfing" Before you change you, might want to read some on TI's forum http://forum.acronis.com/ Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Ok, I bit the bullet and upgraded to TI 2010 Home. "Wicked fast is putting it mildly! Just did a complete backup of the drive that took me 2.5 hours in 37 minutes. This was to the same USB 2.0 Hard Drive and using ACR {Acronis Recovery Media}. I'll be backing up 2 Laptops and my Dual Boot Linux/XP machine with it today.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I bit the bullet and upgraded to TI 2010 Home. "Wicked fast is putting it mildly! Just did a complete backup of the drive that took me 2.5 hours in 37 minutes. This was to the same USB 2.0 Hard Drive and using ACR {Acronis Recovery Media}. I'll be backing up 2 Laptops and my Dual Boot Linux/XP machine with it today.
    "Geekster"
    Keep in mind that Acronis 2010 v-7046 does not Image Linux the same way as it works with "Windows" It will do a "sector by sector" image of your Linux partition (Ext3) So what you will get is... whatever the size that the Linux partition is as an image (empty sectors included )..Acronis answered my posting on their forum to this question, and said "That it will be able to in their next release " You might want to use "Clonezilla" to do the Linux partition . My Linux Mint "Isadora 9" is approximately 8GB and with compression(Clonezilla) it's only 1.22GB Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast