2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks
    I am presently at my Windows XP SP3 computer in Maine (usually here from May to October) and use LogMeIn Pro2 to connect to my Windows 7 computer in NC. I recently did a Windows update that required restarting the NC computer and discovered what appears to me to be a bad feature in Win 7. I wanted only to restart but inadvertently clicked on the Shut Down button rather that the drop-down arrow next to it to restart and that did indeed completely shut down the computer. Since there is apparently no way to do a remote restart, I had to call a friend in NC and have him go to the house and restart the computer which is, obviously, something of an aggravation. I do not see an option to shut down in the drop down box and, as far as I can tell, the only way to do a complete shutdown is to click on the main Shut Down box. I now recognize the I have to be very careful to get my cursor on the drop-down arrow to do a restart. I would think that a better way to completely shut down the computer would be to have that as an option in the drop-down. Or am I missing something here.... If anyone could shed any light on this situation, I would appreciate it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    EM,

Here's an article with the information you need.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You may want to check out TeamViewer. It is free and I have done many transfers of files, helped friends remotely and even restarted their computers remotely after an installation or update. TeamViewer's interface clearly labels the actions that you wish to perform.
    TeamViewer site

2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks
    Retired Geek-

Thanks a million! That is a much more failsafe way to handle restart or shutdown for that matter!