4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows XP SP3 Home Edition. How do I access Windows Defender once it has been installed? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philkiwi View Post
    I am running Windows XP SP3 Home Edition. How do I access Windows Defender once it has been installed? I can't seem to find it anywhere!
    There should be an icon on your start orb, programs, I believe.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Windows Defender does not come shipped with Windows XP SP3. It is available on the web as a seperate download for Windows Xp. Note that I have seen a number of negative comments in various forums on the web related to unsuccessful attempts to install Defender on SP3 (admittedly, all of these comments date back to 2008, but they seem to suggest you may have problems getting it to work with SP3
    for example, see : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-3e01386a95e7/

To download Defender for xp see : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

BUT Note that "System Requirements" for downloading Windows Defender makes no mention of SP3, it only mentions Windows xp Service Pack 2......
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted Myers' reply solved my problem thanks. I had aleady had it installed and was just looking for how to access it.

Thanks
    Great. Interesting that you have it up and running and, presumably working without any hassles (in view of what I referred to in my previous post regarding installation difficulties).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Defender is also replaced by Microsoft Security Essentials. Once you install MSE you can't update or run Windows Defender.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I seem to recall that installing Microsoft Security Essentials required you to remove any other similar programs because they would conflict with it. What is the situation regarding having multiple AV or anti-malware programs installed, particularly if you already have Norton Internet Security 2010 installed?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philkiwi View Post
    I seem to recall that installing Microsoft Security Essentials required you to remove any other similar programs because they would conflict with it. What is the situation regarding having multiple AV or anti-malware programs installed, particularly if you already have Norton Internet Security 2010 installed?
    MSE disables Windows defender by default since MSE includes the AM features of Windows Defender. Both are MS products.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    @philkiwi: The comments under this thread may be of interest: http://bro.ws/775774L

Generally, opinions expressed in the Lounge seem to prefer having only one security application (anti-virus program) installed at a time.

There has been a fair amount of praise/support expressed elsewhere in the Lounge for MSE and also in Windows Secrets. Perhaps its worth considering changing over to MSE when your Symantec product expires.