New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I have many employee names (over 300) would it be best to do a combo box based on the employee table or just make it text box and have them put their employee id in there. I think a text box is appropriate because having a combo scroll through 300 names would be time consuming.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Benny,

The combobox will default {I think - or can be set to} to auto complete so they don't have to scroll through all the names just start typing.

Who will be using the form? Is it the employees or a single person or small group?

Entering numbers can be very error prone so there should be some verification that the correct number has been input, the combo box eliminates at least some of this problem you could still have Smith, James B and Smith, James C.

These are just a few of the questions you have to ask in the design of a robust application. Remember the old IT adage GIGO {Garbage In, Garbage Out}
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using 2007 and I am using a query that queries the employee table to populate the combo box but I believe it limits it up to around 250 or so. Any thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You shouldn't have a problem with 300+ entries in a combo box if you have reasonably recent hardware. We've used them in situations with as many as 10,000 entries and gotten reasonable response. However, another consideration might be whether you want people to be able to select the wrong person. If that's the case you might want to look at some sort of password scheme - or implement Access User Security - it's still available in 2007. Then you could infer the employee number directly from the UserID. That may not be appropriate if this is used by other staff, but if it is uses by the employee themselves then it might be a better choice.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny C View Post
    I am using 2007 and I am using a query that queries the employee table to populate the combo box but I believe it limits it up to around 250 or so. Any thoughts?
    Benny,

I searched and could not find a limit on the number of items in Combo Box anywhere.

I did however find a couple of useful links:
    Tips & Techniques for Combo Boxes
    MSDN Developers Reference

I hope these help.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs