2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a new-to-me Vista machine. How do I select only the pictures I want to download from my camera as we used to do in XPwith the scanner and camera wizard? Now I am downloading them all and copying those I want - far too burdensome.

AND, how do I set the default picture editing program to my 2003 Office Picture Manager?

As always, Thanx. P
    Brother Patrick, Hermit
    The Hermitage at Harmony Hill
    Post Office Box Three
    Gamaliel Arkansas 72537

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the first I would suggest the use of Picasa; not only does it allow for preselection of photos to be copied to disk, but if you let it scan and maintain a database of all your photos, it will tell you if any of the photos on your card are already copied over to disk, thus eliminating the need to keep track of any photos or follow a regimen of photo deletion from the card once copied, a bit of a poor man's temporary backup but once in a great while, very handy.

For the second, two routes, one, what's the computer-name of the program 2003 Office Picture Manager? Right click on the target (a photo) and choose Open with... or Choose default program...(I'm not exact because I use a custom shell) and point it to the program and check the make it the default if needed. Or, you can use an image organizer program like FastStone image viewer as the default (because it would be a more versatile platform to launch other processes from) and then set however many external programs you want to be able to open photos into, including 2003 Office Picture Manager (OPM). Of course if you always only use OPM and have a good photo management system already in place (so you can always find them easily) then the first option makes more sense.

Thanks
    When I plug in my camera, Windows opens a window asking what I want to do. I simply open the pictures folder on the camera, choose those pictures I want to save, then drag and drop them where I want them. Most simple thing I've ever done with pics.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree with Ted, just use Windows Explorer and copy what you want to where you want them.

I have never liked any of these third party programs that think it knows what you want done.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I simply open the pictures folder on the camera, choose those pictures I want to save, then drag and drop them where I want them. Most simple thing I've ever done with pics.
    It is true, its a simple method but I am constantly shocked by how little people understand folders, even though they work with them every day. The method also predicates functioning AutoPlay, an associated downloader that came with the camera and needing to be delagated to not interfere, and if one is a serious photo hound, an excellent knowledge of the current photo collection and its order and location. I see ours is currently at 13,669 photos in 234 folders....my brain doesn't go that big, I'm letting the photo manager take care of it...ya know, that's kind of what computers are for.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should definately take a look at Windows Live Photo Gallery. It does an excellent job of managing the downloads of pictures. You can download everything or just what you want. If you are only using one computer and one camera, it even knows which photos you have already downloaded and doesn't even select those. When you do the download, it puts them in seperate folders, by date. I have even had it automatically set up seperate folders for the same date if the times are far enough apart. (Not sure what that time frame is, 4 hours, 6 hours???) Once you have them downloaded, it's real simple to move them around to where ever you want them to go. It's a great organizing tool and also has some basic editing features. I really like this program.

Note, this is different from Windows Photo Gallery, that came with Vista, you want Windows Live Photo Gallery. Hope you find somethign that works for you.