Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My OS is Win 7 Professional 32 bit.

Whenever I go to Control Panel\Date and Time\Internet Time\Change Settings\Synch with an Internet Time Server-whichever of the Servers I choose,when I click Update now I am told "An error occurred getting the status of the last synchronisation.Access is denied". I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to resolve this problem.

Also, before I reinstalled Windows, I was using an Internet Time Server with the name"pool" in it, but I can't remember the full name. Can someone please remind me what it is, and to change to that server do I need to do anything apart from typing the name in the Internet Time Settings Window?.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Has this machine been on a domain? time services on a workstation are modified when it joins a domain...

I believe these may be the servers you were using:

http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html

Check that the windows time service is running:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...matically.html

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks mercyh,

My machine has not been on a domain and the Windows time service is set to automatic and is running.

Thanks for the link to http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html but the details on that site are too "geeky" for me to follow I'm afraid. Could you please tell me what name to type in the Internet Time Settings window to use the "pool" Time Server, and whether I need to do anything else to use that Time Server?

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure which country is closest to you:

http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/europe

You can simply use pool.ntp.org or 0.pool.ntp.org and you will be assigned servers all over the world, you can use uk.pool.ntp.org or 0.uk.pool.ntp.org and you will be assigned servers in the United Kingdom.

you could also use 0.europe.pool.ntp.org to get the whole european zone.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you mercyh,

I typed pool.ntp.org in the Internet Time Settings box and clicked update now, but got the same message as before, namely "An error occurred getting the status of the last synchronisation.Access is denied".

I live in Malta and the closest country would be Italy.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    pool.ntp.org updates instantly on my machine. What is between you and the internet as far as firewalls and what are you running for a software firewall.

what happens if you issue

Code:
    ping pool.ntp.org
    at a command prompt?

please go to the event viewer (type event in the search box) and post the exact error from any events that reference windows time service.

Thanks
    Roy, Try this:

Control Panel, Date and Time, Internet Time tab, choose Change Settings button, from the drop down list choose pool.ntp.org, OK out and you are set.

Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello mercyh,

The command prompt ping test result was no packets lost, approx. round trip average time 82ms.

The only firewall I have is Windows Firewall. (I use avast free edition for antivirus).

I added w32tm.exe to the list of exceptions in Windows Firewall just before writing this reply, but it made no difference to the time update problem.

Event viewer is a bit of a mystery to me, but the only events relating to windows time service I could find were those recorded when I allowed the service through the windows firewall, noting that a rule had been added to the exception list, i.e. Windows Time Service Diagnostic Tool, direction inbound.

Please advise further.

Thanks again,
    Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you should not need to add the exception in windows firewall. It will not block the NTP port which is UDP 123. Some corporations may configure their firewalls to block this port outgoing but it is not common.

I think your problem is local to that computer. Do you have any other machines on your network that you can check if NTP works on them?

I am going to include the technet article on windows times service. I would for sure do the unregister and then the register commands from this article. These must be run from an ELEVATED command prompt (right click on the cmd icon and select "run as administrator")

first issue

Code:
    W32tm /unregister
    and after that completes do a

Code:
    W32tm /register
    and make sure you get the success message....

You can check it with

Code:
    W32tm /query /status
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263(WS.10).aspx

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello mercyh,

According to the technet article I had to stop the windows time service before running the commands, so I did that.I then ran the commands as an administrator. The response to the unregister command was "Access is denied". The register command result was successful.The query status command result was "error,service not started". Then when I tried to start the service I got the error message shown in the attached screenshot. Next I ran the register command and was told "The specified service has been marked for deletion". Not knowing what else to try I then used system restore to get the service back.When I then tried to start the service I got the same error message as shown in the screenshot.

There is one computer sharing my local area connection, running XP with SP3, and synchronising with pool.ntp.org on that machine succeeded.

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A google search of that error turns up this:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...2-ac766632bfc2

this indicates that you may get the above error if you do not reboot after making the changes.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    mercyh,

Thanks, when I booted this morning I checked the Date and Time settings and found the time had been synchronised at pool.ntp.org at boot. I started the windows time service and was able to synchronise instantly.The only thing that puzzles me is that the windows time service is set to start automatically, and yet I had to start it to synchronise. Is this becuse the service doesn't need to run continuously, i.e. once it has run at boot time it doesn't run again until the next scheduled time, or the next restart, and does this apply to other automatic start services which don't need to run all the time, for example the Software Protection Service?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread