New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am considering upgrading my home network for wireless-n and gigabyte transmission rates. I currently have an "N capable" laptop (WIN 7 64 bit) and two desktops (WIN XP SP3 and WIN 7 64 bit) hardwired with 10/100 ethernet. A wireless N router with gigabyte capability is a given. Does it also follow that I will need gigabyte NICs for the ethernet connections? Does the cable itself need to be replaced?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you want the wired connections to run a gigbit speeds you need to upgrade the NIC. Your current cable may be OK. Depends on the quality. I'd just try the cable first. A cable is easy to replace if needed.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If those desktops are only a couple of years old they will probably already have gig nics.....

Get the router and plug it in and you may be running at gig speeds.....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just did exactly this using a Netgear WNDR3700. I figured if I was going to add I might as well go with 5GHz wifi also. I had no problems with my existing cable and now have gig between my cable modem and router.

Phil

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like starting with the router and then maybe adding nics as needed is the way to go. Since I ran the cable from one floor to the next, hopefully it is good.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brandon View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like starting with the router and then maybe adding nics as needed is the way to go. Since I ran the cable from one floor to the next, hopefully it is good.
    the cable will depend on the quality of the cable and how good the terminations are. If the run is short you will probably get by with lower grade cable, however, the ends have to be about perfect. Gig uses all 4 pair for data while 100mg uses only two. Several times cables that worked fine for 100mb have had to be reterminated when we switched to Gig on networks I have worked with.

If the cable doesn't work I would try putting new ends on before I pulled it out and pulled in new.....

Best is if you can beg or borrow a tester from somebody..

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I'll definitely start with the terminations if need be.