New Lounger
    Thanks
    I,m a long time WS reader new to the lounge.

I previously was using Network Magic to link files and printer amongst computers but I got tired of all the printer issues. The printer is hard wired to pc with XP w/sp3 and am trying to share with laptop with W7 via router. After this is resolved, will need to set up for 2 additional XP laptops. Drivers are installed on laptop and I can print when directly connected.

I've followed The Geek's article several times but like some others, I get the error message, network path not found. Tripled check computer and printer name, \\MasterPC\i960 but can't get any further.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ScottW

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Scott,

Welcome to the forums.

How is your network setup? Are you using Windows Simple File & Printer sharing on all computers? I've found that with a computer directly connected to one computer using Simple File & Printer sharing usually works pretty well. If you are not using SF&PS you'll have much more trouble getting it to work correctly. I'd like to be of more help but I no longer have a setup using that method. I've shifted to printers connected directly to the router via ethernet cable and have absolutely zero problems with that setup.

One other thing, some early HP Deskjet printers absolutely refused to network no matter what you did. HP's way to get you to upgrade. If they weren't advertised as networkable on the box the drivers just wouldn't support it through Windows.

Good Luck.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    lets start with baby steps here.

What happens when you type
    Code:
    \\MasterPC
    in the search box and hit enter?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Perseverance finally pays off.

Part of the problem has been that I couldn't see the shared computer in the "Network and Shared Center" because the icon feature was set and does not give the option to "view network computer and devices". After switching to categories, I'm able to see shared computer and connect to the printer.

Thanks for the responses.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Addendum,

Attempted test print this morning and after three attempts, it finally printed. Oddly, there was no confirmation on it's inability to print and nothing was sitting in the queue.

My other laptops running XP show the shared printer but won't print with firewall up or down. Can someone advice a fix without screwing up the Win7 machine. I'm really tempted on running to Fry's for a cheap printer server.

Thanks,

ScottW

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Troubleshooting file shares on a home network Windows Secrets Lounge has some basic debugging steps and links to helpful articles.

Joe
    Joe