Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

This thread was prompted by Peter S. and his “Is all of this REALLY necessary?” in this forum and by Ted Myers when I asked what he used for an imaging back-up software. He uses Acronis at a very good price of $29.

However, I want to investigate some of the free imaging software that might be available for download before I buy.

Here are some of the key features that would be important to me. It must back-up the OS (Win 7 64 bit). It must have the option to back up to re-writable CD or re-writable DVD. Use a small footprint when installing and not use very much system resources if it runs in the background. If it sounds like I’m asking for too much, that’s what I want to know.

Other features that would be nice but not mandatory:
    Sector Backup
    Differential Backup
    Mount Images
    Selective Restore
    Schedule Task
    Hot Backup or on the fly

By the way, I ‘m using Paragon’s Backup & Recovery Free Edition as a guide line. It’s the only one that I took the time to look at so far.
    My main objective is to get other people’s opinions on perhaps Paragon’s free program or any others that might be out there.

Any replies will be appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Macrium Reflect free has all of the above accept differential backup. It also does not have any image management features. Look up the Twin thread to Ted's here:

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=776749

Thanks
    One thing that Acronis includes also that I am not sure is available with Macrium is Try and Decide, which is a virtual environment to try apps you are not sure about. Fred has written about this feature in Acronis True Image Home 2010. It sounds very much like the virtual environments from VMWare and XP Mode, etc. Check it out.

[attachment=89416:2010-07-27_1924.png]

The next image is from the help file for Acronis.

[attachment=89417:2010-07-27_1926.png]

This may be what some of you are looking for. An Image app that has a virtual environment as one of it's features.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by norm201 View Post
    Here are some of the key features that would be important to me.

Other features that would be nice but not mandatory:
    Sector Backup
    Differential Backup
    Mount Images
    Selective Restore
    Schedule Task
    Hot Backup or on the fly
    Any replies will be appreciated.
    Norm,
    Hello... Here is my 2cents. I have tried Paragon Free Imaging and Clonezilla , also free. I have used and paid for Acronis True Image Home Since.. V -10 (10 Was freebie) Yes "TI" has some bugs ...depending on your "OS" Both that i have tried work to some form or fashion... but neither does or even comes close to TI. I don't want to sound like a Acronis "PR" man so I'll give you just the important points
    1. TI 2010 v-7046 can Image my 25GB "OS" (Approx) in just 7 minutes AND THAT'S WITH VERIFICATION ! (new engine) Now tell me about your "freebies"
    2. Acronis has a function called "Try& Decide" you can run your "OS" in a virtual mode to test programs and updates ,patches , etc . Also can survive a Re-boot. (continues in "T&D" mode).
    3. Plus all that you have mentioned, and much more.
    Even if you can't "catch a deal" it's worth every "FRN" (Federal Reserve Note ... not real money)
    Imaging is the most important software that a "serious" PC owner ( not sure who really owns who ) can have !... So my opinion.... don't "cheap out"! Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Norm,

Yeah, what Fred said!

I've been an Acronis fan since TI version 8. I just upgraded to TI Home 2010 last night and can't believe how fast it images. They've also greatly improved the user interface. This is a bargain even at full retail. I'm all for Free but when it comes to my backups reliability and performance is what really matters and TI delivers on both counts.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    In case you haven't realized, I am also in the Acronis corner. I did try Macrium Reflect previously and was not as impressed with the user interface. The Acronis True Image Home 2010 is made for serious use by serious PCers. At $29 it's a steal, and you may be able to find it with a nice mail in rebate. The rebate Newegg was offering expired on the 21st, but I have to believ there will be more.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Norm - I also started using Acronis TI 2010 a few months ago. The price was almost free at $9.99 (after rebate) from Newegg. I get the feeling that Acronis is going to be releasing version 2011 soon.

Ted's and mercyh's (see post #2 above) threads in the other Forum are so very useful and informative on the "imaging" topic.
    You can link to Ted's thread here http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=776527.

Free is nice, but paying for something that really does the job is nicer.

Another nice feature is the ease to create a bootable Rescue CD.

That's my two cents worth !!!

Tim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing that Acronis includes also that I am not sure is available with Macrium is Try and Decide
    Nope, not available in Macrium. This is sounds like a nice feature in that it allows you to use the new program with your exact setup and takes the "geekiness" out of using a virtual machine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    Nope, not available in Macrium. This is sounds like a nice feature in that it allows you to use the new program with your exact setup and takes the "geekiness" out of using a virtual machine.
    I have yet to try this, but the more I read about it, the more it sounds like something I will be trying shortly. I have been using Sandboxie to run websites I have never visited as a virtual environment, but Sandboxie for 64 Bit just requests an app run in a virtual mode, it does not require it so I have only used it for surfing. It sounds as though the Try and Decide may force these apps into a virtual mode, which does sound safer. It is definitely worth exploring.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have yet to try this, but the more I read about it, the more it sounds like something I will be trying shortly. I have been using Sandboxie to run websites I have never visited as a virtual environment, but Sandboxie for 64 Bit just requests an app run in a virtual mode, it does not require it so I have only used it for surfing. It sounds as though the Try and Decide may force these apps into a virtual mode, which does sound safer. It is definitely worth exploring.
    Just reading the "help" information in your prior post I'd be very reluctant to use "Try & Decide" as a virtual environment. It does not create a virtual environment as this is typically known. It creates a workspace using your current OS. Therefore, what you do is not really isolated as evidenced by the performance hit mentioned. A real VM environment (real VM ? ) has a very small performance hit. If I'm going to use a VM for testing I want true VM software not something in between.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! It looks like Acronis is by far the most popular and I will most likely go with that since it's so highly recommended by the likes of Fred, Ted and others. As Tim Sullivan mentioned, maybe I should wait for the 2011 version. I wonder if updates are free or available at reduced price for current users? Also I never thought about looking for rebates or coupons. Thanks for the tip, Tim.

I may try the freebies just out of curiosity but I think it's a done deal for me to get Acronis! I tend to agree with Joe about the Try & Decide feature. However, it certainly is better than just loading a new program and hoping it does not hose your system.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions.

Thanks
    Try Shadow Protect - and then wonder why anyone recommends Acronis! (not that I'm biased, or anything...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    shadow protect can boot any image of a bootable partion directly in SUN virtual box without any messing around.....

(If you like the virtual environment)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello - Just a note of caution about conflicts between Acronis and StorageCraft's Shadow Protect.

I asked StorageCraft about running ShadowProtect while I have Acronis installed.

Here are excerpts of StorageCraft's responses to me on July 2, 2010 ....

"Tim

Unfortunately, Snapman.sys (Acronis) and Vsnapvss (Storagecraft) operate in the
    same space attemping to perform the same function. This is a known conflict
    that neither company can resolve without a major rewrite of the driver. There
    is still a conflict between the 2 products.

Thank you,
    Matt Hyer
    StorageCraft Technical Support

*** Case Description ***

Hello - I am thinking of trying out your ShadowProtect. I currently use Acronis
    True Image Home.

Will I be able to test your product without conflicts with Acronis?

Thank you,
    Tim"

"TIm:

You would not only have to uninstall Acronis, but you would have to follow the
    following steps to remove some components that their uninstall leaves behind.

http://www.storagecraft.com/kb/quest...?questionid=89

Matt "

End of quotes from their responses.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Try Shadow Protect - and then wonder why anyone recommends Acronis! (not that I'm biased, or anything...)

We're also talking nearly $90.00! ????

Thanks, but no thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast