New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have downloaded an app as an exe file and did the installation. I would like to convert the exe file into an iso file so I can burn it into a CD as an installation disc. Can this be done? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If it is a single, stand-alone file, just burn it to a disk as it is. It will work fine: When you wish to install the program, load the disk and then run the .exe file you saved to it.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    How to Convert an EXE File to an ISO File

Contributor
    By Joshua Bailey, eHow Contributing Writer

ISO files are perfect for converting a file into a burnable format for a disc, and the ISO can be created from just about any file you have on your computer, including EXE files. ImgBurn is one program that does an exceptional job at this process and best of all, the software is completely free.
    Instructions:
    Step 1
    Download and install ImgBurn. It is free software that updates itself, so you will always be running the most recent version. ImgBurn is used by many computer users to replace their expensive, but useful counterparts, and many believe that ImgBurn does just as good of a job.
    Step 2
    Click "Create image file from file/folders" and you will be brought to the ImgBurn application. Open a new window in your computer and locate the EXE file you want to convert to an ISO file. Drag the EXE file into the ImgBurn window and it will automatically load into the program.
    Step 3
    Click the "Destination" icon folder and select a place for the new ISO file to be saved. Click the large green arrow at the bottom of the program to start the conversion process. The length of the conversion process depends on the size of the EXE file; it could take just a few minutes to convert a small EXE file into an ISO file.
    Hope this helps
    C
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The ISO file is NOT on the CD/DVD, they are just used to MAKE an CD/DVD from a LARGE set of files.

Have a look at your Windows install disk, you will NOT find any ISO file. The ISO file is "Expanded" at the time of burning, and makes all of the different folders that are on the CD/DVD.

So what is going to be gained by making this ISO file?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you. Each one gave me something to think about. I had never done something like this before including not downloading an app exe file. I had always bought a CD/DVD, but got such a bargain with the download that I went ahead. I have always used a disc to install an app as I have needed to reinstall apps off and on over the years (I am 87) and thought it would be better to have the app on a disc. This is why I wanted to convert the exe file to an ISO format which I assumed I could burn to a disc. I will try your suggestions and appreciate very much your replies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    So what is going to be gained by making this ISO file?
    Dave,

ISO is a standard. If you just burn files they may not be readable on all machines. A CD burned with an ISO image should be readable on any computer, even a MAC or Linux even if you can't install the software there you can read it.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again to all contributers. I burned the original exe installation file to a DVD and then tried using ImgBurn to make an ISO file which I burned to a DVD. The results of the two burns were the same. I got the same exe file on each DVD which I could dbl click and start extracting the installation files. So, I do have a backup for my installation file on DVD. However, I did learn about using ImgBurn which I will use in the future. I appreciate the lessons learned and the helpfulness of Windows Secrets Lounge members.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Dave,

ISO is a standard. If you just burn files they may not be readable on all machines. A CD burned with an ISO image should be readable on any computer, even a MAC or Linux even if you can't install the software there you can read it.
    So what good does that do, if one can not use the install file, why not just copy the Exe file(s) to the CD/DVD and not waste the time to converting.

That said, if these files are to be stored on a NONE Windows server, then it MAY be of use.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Thanks DaveA. Hence the response in my first post to this thread.

In fact, I have experienced one or two cases of ISO - CDs not being readable by some drives, but when the drive was replaced, "voila" all was well again. I gather from an IT engineer friend that some "inferior?" CD/DVD drive brands don't write as accurately as the standard requires, resulting in data that can be read by the drive that did the burning in the first place, but not by some other drives.

And Cecil: It's really great to see you are NOT one of those senior citizens who is scared of computers! A shining example to all, indeed.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    So what good does that do, if one can not use the install file, why not just copy the Exe file(s) to the CD/DVD and not waste the time to converting.
    Dave,

The reason for using the standard is that not every Windows computer uses the same burning software. Some of these programs will burn a CD & read it just fine but move it to another Windows machine with different software and OOPS! can't read it. With ISO images you're odds are greatly improved when moving from machine to machine. At least that is my understanding from what I have read. My experience has also been in consistent with this information.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    The reason for using the standard is that not every Windows computer uses the same burning software. Some of these programs will burn a CD & read it just fine but move it to another Windows machine with different software and OOPS! can't read it. With ISO images you're odds are greatly improved when moving from machine to machine. At least that is my understanding from what I have read. My experience has also been in consistent with this information.
    As with many standards, compatability is in the method in which the standard is implemented in a particular OS. If you read ISO image - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, you'll see that .ISO is just an archive format that normally contains one of two different file systems. ISO 9660 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is one along with its revisions and extensions. Universal Disk Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the other along with its revisions. If you have disk writing software that uses ISO 9660 or UDF you can just write directly to a CD/DVD/BD and achieve the same result as creating a .ISO file and burning it.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

Thanks for the enlightenment. Live and learn.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs