Thanks
    I've recently come to appreciate the advantages of IMAP in being able to see my home email from work.

But before I change my settings to use IMAP at home as well as at work, I wanted to check what I'm getting myself in for.

Specifically, my fear is that, if I connect to Gmail via IMAP from Outlook at home, it will upload all 70 MB of my home .PST file to Gmail (which I don't want).

So, the question is, does IMAP synchronise all previously-downloaded email to the server, or does it only apply to messages that are received at the server "from now on"?

Thanks muchly in advance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PStepanas View Post
    Specifically, my fear is that, if I connect to Gmail via IMAP from Outlook at home, it will upload all 70 MB of my home .PST file to Gmail (which I don't want).
    When you add an IMAP account in Outlook, it adds a new top-level folder (if you turn on the Navigation pane, you may already have more than one top level folder). The IMAP folder for that account is completely independent of your existing Personal Folders into which you have gathered POP mail downloads. So you don't have to worry about any automatic uploads to GMail -- unless you install a Google add-in for Outlook, in which case you should check its options to see what you're in for.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jscher2000 is correct on adding another account as an IMAP account but I am not sure what happens if you change the settings of the current POP account to IMAP.

Thanks
    Thanks for trying guys. But as mercyh pointed out, jscher2000's advice doesn't apply in my case, where I'm indeed wanting to convert a POP account to an IMAP download.

Does anyone else think they know the answer?

Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question:

How can I convert users mailboxes from POP3 to IMAP or Outlook Connector and ensure all old email exists in the new IMAP or Outlook Connector account?

Answer:

In Outlook Express:

1. Open Outlook Express.

2. From the Outlook Express menu choose Tools -> Accounts.

3. Select the current POP account and click on Properties.

4. On the General tab deselect the option for "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing" AND THEN on the Servers tab, deselect the option for "Remember password".

5. Click on OK and Close.

6. Close Outlook Express.

7. Open Outlook Express again and if you are prompted for a password (you shouldn't be) don't give it -- instead click on Cancel. If you are prompted for a password, ensure you have followed the steps above correctly.

8. Now the POP account has been disabled, setup the new IMAP account via Tools -> Accounts.

9. With both the POP account and IMAP account now listed drag the email from the POP account folders to the IMAP account folders.

10. Once you've confirmed all the POP based email has been moved, delete the POP account from Tools -> Accounts.

In Outlook:

1. Open Outlook.

2. From the Outlook menu choose Tools -> Email Accounts.

3. Make sure the option to "View or change existing e-mail accounts" is selected and then click on Next.

4. Select the POP account and then click on the Change button.

5. Remove the check mark next to "Remember password."

6. Click on Next and then on Finish.

7. Choose Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup and click on Send/Receive.

8. Click on Edit, select the POP account and deselect the option for "Include the selected account in this group". Then click on OK, Close and OK.

9. Close Outlook.

10. Open Outlook again and if you are prompted for a password for that account (you shouldn't be) don't give it -- instead click on Cancel. If you are prompted for a password, ensure you have followed the steps above correctly.

11. Now the POP account has been disabled, setup the new IMAP account via Tools -> Email Accounts.

12. You can now either drag the email from the POP account folders to the IMAP account folders or use the File -> Import/Export utility to import the POP based PST file into the IMAP account.

13. Once you've confirmed all the POP based email has been moved, delete the POP account from Tools -> Email Accounts.

Migrating from POP3 to Outlook Connector:

If you are converting from POP3 to Outlook Connector, it's recommended to follow the Outlook steps 1-12 above and initially migrate the email from the POP3 PST as indicated.

Once this has been done create a new Outlook Profile and configure the Outlook Connector account as the only account in the profile and confirm all email is correctly loaded into the new Outlook Connector Account.

Finally, from the Outlook menu choose File -> Open -> Outlook Data File and open the original POP3 PST file. You can then move/drag any existing calendar, contacts or task entries from the POP3 PST file into the Outlook Connector account before closing the PST.

Possible issues to note:

1. Whilst POP3 PST based email accounts support the use of characters such as \ : & / in email folder names, IMAP and Outlook Connector accounts don't. This is because this folder will be created as a Windows Folder in the users mailbox on the server. For this reason, it's important these folder names are changed before you move/drag the folders between the accounts or any import via the File -> Import/Export utility in Outlook.

2. An import of a PST into an IMAP account can sometimes fail and this is often due to an element of corruption in the PST file itself. Microsoft supply a PST repair tool with Outlook called scanpst.exe which you can use to scan and fix these errors. Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227/en-us for details.

There were other responses that said the conversation couldn't be done. I would start a new account in Outlook setup as IMAP and try it from there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is nothing to stop you adding the same account twice in outlook, once as pop and once as imap. You will get two different sets of folders. If you choose to store all your old mail on google (not a bad plan actually) you can drag it from the pop account folders to the IMAP account folders.

If you do not want to move the mail which is what you indicate above and you want to continue getting all your mail in both the pop and the imap folders, you can just leave it with both accounts active and it will send and receive into both sets of folders (any mail sent using the pop account will not be copied to the sent folder on gmail although if you send from the IMAP account it will). If you intend to phase out the POP account and only use it to store your old mail, you can disable send and receive for the pop account and all new mail will show up only in the IMAP folders.

Thanks
    Wow.

That's a lot more complicated than I expected! Good thing I asked!

Big thanks to Phil Karl and mercyh.

Given the complexities -- especially IMAP's not using a PST file -- I'm going to try things out with my "mailing lists" account and see what happens.

Will try to remember to report back.

Thanks
    Thanks, all, for the advice.

A small amount of experimentation with my newsletter email account has cleared a few things up for me. Hopefully, this information might help anyone who finds this thread via a Search.

Here's some of what I learned:

1. Yes, an IMAP connection does sync both ways, uploading everything you put in the account's Outlook folder. However...
    2. When you create an IMAP account, it creates a new Inbox in Outlook.
    3. This is not the same as a PST file (in fact, I forgot to look to see where local copies of messages might be stored).
    4. It may not be possible to change a POP Inbox to an IMAP Inbox, although you can copy messages from one to the other.
    5. Every time you click on an IMAP folder, the server is accessed.
    6. This takes a while if you don't have a fast Internet connection (eg: me at home).

In the end, this is what killed it for me. I wanted the same, fast access and local storage of a PST file, but synchronised to Gmail for new messages. That's not possible, it seems, except if you set up some sort of system for copying between POP and IMAP folders. But it's just too slow for me to want to do this on a 3 Mobile Broadband connection.

On the plus side, I also learned:

7. Gmail stores all messages in its All Mail folder (which you may need to drag from the More section to make it visible).
    8. I think this is controlled by the archive setting.
    9. Old messages (unless you actively delete them) can easily be found in this area, even if you've already POPed them!

So, for now, I'll continue to use POP at home, but with an IMAP link at work, whence I can read and delete email directly in Thunderbird before it's downloaded by POP at home. And I can read deleted messages from the All Mail archive, if I want to see something after it's been POPed.

Not perfect, but I'm calling it a win!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One more option....

You can set POP accounts on both machines but do not set either machine to remove the mail from the server (on gmail this is a non issue as the mail all stays on gmail anyway) You will now get all your incoming mail on both machines, only new mail will be downloaded from the server and it will be saved as a local copy overcoming your slow connection issue. The only thing that you will not have on both machines is SENT mail. The sent mail will only show up on the machine that it was sent from..

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of more notes about Outlook, Gmail and IMAP:

IMAP creates a second .pst file. This is different than the default outlook.pst file and creates the extra folder list / inbox talked about in earlier messages. You can't delete the default .pst and keep just the IMAP .pst file. You have to have two Inboxes -- even if you don't use the default one.

IMAP .pst is a synced copy of what is on Gmail. Nothing more or less. And yes, it takes time to sync, so sync often and it should not be a big problem.

You can tell Outlook to open the IMAP inbox by default. It is in the mail options, other screen, if I remember right. I don't use Outlook myself, but have helped a couple of people do this.

You should tell Outlook to NOT save copies of sent mail. Gmail will do that for you. If you don't change this, it will put a copy of the sent mail in the default outbox and you will end up with two copies of all sent mail on your computer.

BE VERY CAREFUL with Gmail's ALL MAIL box! Gmail uses labels to create it's folder structure and a copy of all messages [except those in trash] is in the All Mail folder. Bottom line: if you make a mistake in All Mail, it will affect all copies of that message stored in other folders. It is best to avoid this folder and go there only as a last resort.