New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do I need to install MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to allow MS Fixit Center to work properly? I am not a programmer and in order to install MS Fixit, I had to install .NET. The next day I got an MS Update notice to install SP1. Other than MS Fixit, I don't know of any other programs on my computer which require .NET. I have read cautions about installing .Net including on WS.

I have XP Pro, SP3.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    After installing .NET, often you can't tell just from an install if new program requires .NET since it is already there. Once you install .NET you are better off keeping up with the patches.

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We run thousands of PCs with XP SP3 and .NET. Almost no problems caused by .NET. The few issues I have seen have been fixed by re-installing .NET.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You to both of you who answered my question. I appreciate your help.

Regards.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I just had a program upgrade require .net, I hadn't installed it, or to be more accurate I had de-installed it following advice about it making things slow down. (I thought the advice was from Secrets.... but I'm not sure) Anyway the PC, a Dell Inspiron 6400, has been a real dog ever since I installed it, since I really needed to upgrade. I had a look at the processes but only Firefox seems to require a lot of memory. Is my experience common??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Mahon View Post
    I just had a program upgrade require .net, I hadn't installed it, or to be more accurate I had de-installed it following advice about it making things slow down. (I thought the advice was from Secrets.... but I'm not sure) Anyway the PC, a Dell Inspiron 6400, has been a real dog ever since I installed it, since I really needed to upgrade. I had a look at the processes but only Firefox seems to require a lot of memory. Is my experience common??
    Not just because of .NET.

What are the specs for the machine (i.e CPU, RAM, Disk capacity & % used)?

Have you used Task Manager to see what is using the CPU?

How many programs do you normally have running simultaneously?

What gets start automaticlly when the system is booted?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Mahon View Post
    I had a look at the processes but only Firefox seems to require a lot of memory. Is my experience common??
    Firefox will use as much memory as you give it. But occupying memory is not the same as using CPU cycles or, even slower, reading from and writing to disk. You probably need a better tool to see what's going on.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Installing .NET is unlikely to slow your machine as it does almost nothing if no program is using it.
    Maybe your swap file is not big enough?
    The new program installed some extra drivers / start up processes?
    The latest AV update makes the machine slow?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tnks for the comments. I was trying to decide what to look at, before I wrote the post, since I wasn't sure if .net was problematical. It appears it isn't.

I had a look at the performance charts (performance manager) and it shows that pages/sec is peaky, sometimes going off the chart, but generally low (less than 50% of the scale). Average Disk Queue Length is less than 10% of the scale, % processor time averages about 30%. The big change is in screen response, as time goes by in a session it really slows.

I am running, usually, Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird, a screen capture utility, and the new upgrade - a mailscreening app, mailwasher, in background.

Background also is avast antivirus.

Startup is 'the usual stuff' Adobe, Skype, the screen capture, nothing new that I can see.

PC is a Dell Inspiron 6400 1GB RAM, 50GB HD 75% used.

At face value it looks like a memory issue, but, as I said it is recent and the only recent action was the upgrade, which I tried out by stopping it, but there was no change.

Tnks, Barry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    2GB will give your machine a new lease of life - it did to mine!

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Since the performance degrades the longer the system is running you probably have a memory leak somewhere. Firefox is usually a good bet for this. Just closing and reopening FF may be enough to see a difference.

Also, particulalry if you have integrated graphics and not a discrete video card 1GB of RAM is not enough with that many applications running even for XP.

Joe
    Joe