Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure when this started, so perhaps I am making connections that don't exist. I have a Dell Dimension 2350 with Windows XP Pro SP3. The original mouse is a Logitech wired USB wheel mouse. I recently got an HP wireless mouse for free that I decided to try out. I loaded their software per instructions...was getting some strange errors (don't now recall what) and I immediately uninstalled the HP mouse software, figuring I could use the mouse without the software anyway. So I've been using both mice...my wife likes the old one and I kind of like the HP mouse.

What I've begun to notice is that all too often, certain windows menus won't click on entries and the tell-tale highlighting doesn't appear when you go up and down the menu. Examples? The little menu by the launch bar that you bring up by clicking on the ">>" next to it. The menu appears and sometimes it works and sometimes, I can click all I want and nothing happens. Another one is the "all programs" off the start menu. When I click on "All Programs", the menu appears. Sometimes I am done right there. Nothing highlights and clicking doesn't work. Seems like sometime I can even click to bring up another menu, like Microsoft Office, but then I can't click on excel or word there. I tried loading a fresh copy of the Logitech driver software and that didn't help. I also tried uninstalling the Logitech mouse and just using the wireless mouse. That also doesn't work. Sometimes, when I run into this, if I go over to the right side of the desktop and right-click and then go back into the menu, suddenly it works, but not always. Just discovered that last night.

Seems like some kind of driver conflict to me...like part of the HP driver is still out there? Next thing I will try tonight is the Logitech mouse without the wireless mouse hooked up and see how that goes. The mouse just barely works without the Logitech software. No acceleration. Rebooting the computer always temporarily solves the problem, but that gets real old. Any ideas I would appreciate.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you uninstall the " Logitech " stuff?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I did. That was the last thing I tried and even stopped using the Logitech mouse. The wireless mouse seemed to work well for a bit, but after a 1/2 hour or so, the mouse clicking "froze" again. The other thing I can try is to search the registry which I will do tonight as well.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I removed USB "ghost" devices that were still out there for the Logitech mouse and cleaned the registry. One difference I noticed, getting rid of the Logitech mouse and using only the wireless mouse was that now when it gets stuck, it doesn't help at all any more to move the cursor and right-click. Eventually, the ability to access those menus does come back w/o rebooting, but I don't really know why. This is really frustrating. Reloading it from scratch would probably help, but that's kind of like hitting the egg with a hammer to crack it open.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Going to stop trying to fix this and some other problems and just reload from scratch...should take care of it.

Thanks
    Hi Tom, my suggestion is, > right click computer>manage>Device Manager. uninstall all mouse drivers and the mouse you doing this with, now shut down your PC, connect the mouse you want to use, restart your PC. This is the recommended method for a USB connection, PSP2 connections are more forgiving.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    my suggestion is, > right click computer>manage>Device Manager. uninstall all mouse drivers and the mouse you doing this with, now shut down your PC, connect the mouse you want to use, restart your PC. This is the recommended method for a USB connection, PSP2 connections are more forgiving.
    If a driver needs to be installed the recommended method for a USB device is to install the software first not the device. Almost always during the software install process the user will be prompted to attach the USB device.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If a driver needs to be installed the recommended method for a USB device is to install the software first not the device. Almost always during the software install process the user will be prompted to attach the USB device.

Joe
    JoeP, I have two different Logitech cordless mice and both work perfectly ( USB ) without installing any drivers/software. HP desktop, Packard Bell laptop.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I have two different Logitech cordless mice and both work perfectly ( USB ) without installing any drivers/software. HP desktop, Packard Bell laptop.
    That is fine. Not all devices need a driver or other software installed to work. I was just pointing out that what you had originally posted is not the generic case for all USB devices. That is why I qualified it with the part about a driver being installed.

Joe
    Joe