Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hi All,

I thought that this "let's make it non-standard so they have to buy from us" thing was over and done with...not so Joe!

I just purchased a WD My Passport Essential 500Gb drive for a friend's new setup and guess what the little cable that comes with it has a non-standard USB Mini connector. Now my Blackberry, Camera, MP-3 player, 2 GPSes, and previous WD My Passport drives all use the standard Mini USB connector. Pretty much making one cable fit all, at least I've used them interchangeably w/o problem. So why on earth has WD decided that they have to go back to the bad old days. This is almost enough to get me to stop recommending these drives and move to Segate or someone else. In the process they also changed the form factor so all the nice cases I've bought in the past no longer fit! I just hate it when they do this stuff!

What say you all?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Not too bad for on the road storage space, and the usb cable looks exactly like the one I use for my Olympus
    digital SLR camara. I think it fits the standard for a compact, low power device.

They are limited to powered usb hubs and some lightweight laptops can't handle them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Clint,

That's the old model I referred to and you are correct it has the standard mini-USB2 connector. The new version is smaller and more squarish and a decidedly non-standard connector. The box advertises a DOCK station which may be the reason for the non-standard connector but that's an add-on which I don't think many will bother to buy.

Edited to add photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Comparison

Adapter

Newegg.com: StarTech UUSBMUSBMF Micro USB to Mini USB 2.0 Adapter M/F
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-524-_-Product

Micro USB will be the Standard

Wikipedia: USB
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb
    Mini and Micro
    The cellular phone carrier group, Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP), have recently endorsed Micro-USB as the standard connector for data and power on mobile devices.[22] These include various types of battery chargers, allowing Micro-USB to be the single external cable link needed by some devices. As of January 30, 2009 Micro-USB has been accepted by almost all cell phone manufacturers as the standard charging port (including Apple, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Research In Motion) in the EU and most of the world. Worldwide conversion to the new cellphone charging standard is expected to be completed between 2010 to 2012.

In addition, on 22 October 2009 the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) announced that it had embraced micro-USB as the Universal Charger Solution its "energy-efficient one-charger-fits-all new mobile phone solution", and added: "Based on the Micro-USB interface, UCS chargers will also include a 4-star or higher efficiency rating—up to three times more energy-efficient than an unrated charger."[23]
    PCMag.com: 17 Mobile Companies Adopt Micro USB Standard
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2341261,00.asp

Thanks
    @RetiredGeek: So there you have it: Now we all have to pay the maker(s) of the mini-USB to micro-USB adaptor plugs as we move forward with technology (SOMEONE has to make money, after all!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Yes, but...

That's not the connector on the WD drive at least not to my eyes. Notice the exposed contacts on the WD Connector vs the obvious plastic coverings on the Mini-UBS standard. Am I missing something? Sure wish I had both here to compare.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    "Micro USB", "USB Micro" and "Micro B" are all referring to the same connector. (The new 'standard' connector for cell phones).

The following WesternDigital.com page has a replacement 18" cable for your 'My Passport Essential':

http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...oryID.14162000

As you can see, one end has the standard male 'USB A' connector that plugs into a USB port on your computer and the other end has the "Micro B"/"USB Micro"/"Micro USB" connector. (The new 'standard' connector for cell phones).