Thread: Style selection

Lounger
    Thanks
    At home I can access Word 2007's Select All Instances feature by right-clicking on a style name on the Style Panel.
    Why is the Select All Instances feature grayed out on my work system but not at home?? When I opened a document from home at work the Select All Instances feature that recognized 2 instances of a header at home did not acknowledge them at work. I even attached the file to the home.dotm template and updated the styles. The Select All Instances feature was still grayed out on my work system.

Is there some checkbox I need to check or uncheck to have the Select All Instances feature be active?

I find the Select All Instances feature is useful for
    • determining if direct formatting has been applied to make the style appearance look different
    • determining which styles not being used in the document (here the Select All Instances is supposed to be grayed out; in the example sited above it is gray and the style is being used)
    • selecting all the instances of a style and changing it to a different style (like H3 to H3 not in TOC); this method is more convenient than the Find and Replace methodology.

Thanks in advance,
    Georgette

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Georgette,

To enable the 'select all instances' feature:

Go to the Office Button > Word Options > Advanced. Under Editing options, put a checkmark next to "Keep track of formatting".

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fantastic... worked like a charm!! Many thanks.
    Where can I find a site that explains the ramifications of all the Word Options? The one-liners next to the check boxes do not have obvious meaning, yet they seem to control lots of important features in Word.
    Again, thanks,
    Georgette

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad that worked.

Sorry I don't have a reference to point you to with regard to the Word 2007 options settings - I agree that would be a useful reference to have.

Gary