Lounger
    Thanks
    The toolbar in Windows Explorer has a button "Add Contact" which does nothing when clicking on it. Is there some setup to make it work that I am missing?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually the button says "New Contact".

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you post a screen shot, as NONE of our Windows 7 machines have the "New Contact" icon?

Found it, when I am in the Contacts folder of my user folder.
    It works for me, but I have no app that will access it that I know of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    The Windows Contacts folder you see in Users profile folders originated in Vista and Windows Mail used the folder for contacts. Windows 7 kept the availability of the folder to help with backward compatibility when users do an in place upgrade to Win7. That way, the contacts used by Windows Mail would not be lost in the upgrade process. However, neither Windows Live Mail or Outlook use the Contacts folder under the Users profile folder. The file format is different than the one used for Vista's Windows Mail (seems odd doesn't it).

You can use the contacts in this Contacts folder only by importing them into your mail client app.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Dave. Here's the screen shot. When I click on "New Contact" the cursor does the little circle thing for a second but nothing comes up so that I can add a new contact.
    [attachment=89462:contaacts.jpg]

Gerald - are you saying the only way I can add a new contact is in Thunderbird (my email program)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    I may be wrong, but I believe you must have created at least one contact in Windows Mail before this button will work. Anyone agree/disagree?
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jshaw42 View Post
    Gerald - are you saying the only way I can add a new contact is in Thunderbird (my email program)?
    What I said is that neither Windows Live Mail, nor MS Office Outlook will look into and read your Contacts folder under your user name. You have to import the contents of that folder into those programs.

However, I use Thunderbird as my email program too, and the only way I can get Thunderbird to use the contacts from my Contacts folder under my user name is to import them into Thunderbird's address book, or add the new contacts to my Thunderbird address book by typing them in.

The Contacts folder located in C:\Users\User Name\Contacts is a stand alone contacts folder, whose contents are usable to your email client only by importing them into your email client. You can add new contacts to your Contacts folder in Windows Explorer, but they are not usable in Thunderbird unless you import them into Thunderbird.

All this means is that the Contacts folder located in C:\Users\User Name\Contacts serves very little purpose other than the backwards compatibility I described in the earlier post. Windows Mail in Vista was able to use them, but Windows Live Mail will not (unless they are imported).

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for trying guys.

Perhaps I am not being clear, Gerald. I have imported the contacts into Thunderbird and understand all you have said about Live Mail and Outlook. My problem is that while I can open a contact in Windows Explorer, I can not add a new contact or new contact group. There are certain contacts I wish to add that I do not wish to access by an email client.

Since there is a button in Windows Explorer named "New Contact" I would like to be able to use it. For some reason I can not.

Thanks
    jshaw42,

I misunderstood your question about adding a new contact in Thunderbird. I understand what you are wanting to do.

Do you have a backup of your user profile that you can restore? If not, log on as another user to see if you can add a new contact to the folder. If so, then your user profile is corrupted to a certain extent, and you might have to remove it and create it again.

If you know when this function quit working, you could attempt a System Restore that was created just before the problem started. Sometimes that helps with things that go bump in the night.

Also, right click on the Contacts folder and select properties, then click on the Security Tab. Highlight your user name to see if you still have write and full permissions on the Contact folder.

If you do not have full permissions, then modify your permissions.

If you already have full permissions to the folder, then try running the System File Checker. Go to the Start Menu, right click on cmd and click Run as administrator . Type into the Command Prompt windows sfc /scannow . Be sure to include the space between the 'c' and the '/' mark. This will check all your Windows system files and will replace any corrupt ones with fresh copies. You might be prompted to place your Windows 7 install DVD in the optical drive at some point, but if there is a recovery partition on your hard disk that will not likely occur.
    Deadeye81

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On a Windows 7 machine, the Contacts is there for those that bring in their "Windows Mail" data that is then imported to their new email program.

I have NOT found any program that will access these contacts on a Windows 7 machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for the responses. Gerald, I will try your suggested remedy (when I get the time, whew). If I am successful I will report the results and procedure used. If not, oh, well. Thanks again.