Thanks
    Is there a way to set up the PST file to swap out to a ram disk or flash drive? Wouldn't that speed up Outlook's execution?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    You'd have to do it manually. Copy the .PST from HD to RAM dirve BEFORE starting Outlook. Then remember to copy it from RAM drive to HD after you shut down Outlook. You could setup batch jobs to do this. That seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Outlook may be a little snappier if you have a really large PST file. But, I doubt you'd notice much difference in Outlook once the PST file was loaded. Think about how you work in Outlook. If you are like most people you spend the vast majority of time reading or typing not waiting for Outlook to find, load, & display something. Reading and typing are not going to be helped by a RAM drive.

If Outlook seems really sluggish, you should look at other areas of PC performance first.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    How much RAM does your system have? What size is your page file? How big is your .PST file---All could have an impact, but in any event JoeP's comments above are spot on.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    what happens to your .pst file if you have it on a RAM drive and your dog pulls the power cord?

Thanks
    Yea, you guys are right...oh well...

Thanks,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"