Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Engine error?

  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just got an email from one of my corporate clients (meaning he uses Outlook and Exchange Server). I've been using Gmail for a long time with no problems. This morning, however, he sent me one of my emails that had the message body stripped out, and it was replaced with this message:

    FILE QUARANTINED
    The original contents of this file have been replaced with this message because of its characteristics.
    File name: 'Body of Message' Malware name: 'EngineError'

    The original email didn't contain any attachments; it was just a short message. I Googled this but couldn't find anything that I could point my client to. (My assumption, of course, being that it must be a problem on HIS end.)

    Does anyone else have any experience with this happening, or better still, know how to fix it?

  2. #2
    5 Star Lounger chowur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    804
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Ask your client that sent you this.IF & when was the last time they did an update on the Outlook & Exchange server.Very well could be that they down loaded a bad patch? Also if their was any codes besides what you posted.Here's a link that might help;
    Forefront Client
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

  3. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron B. Owens View Post
    Ask your client that sent you this.IF & when was the last time they did an update on the Outlook & Exchange server.Very well could be that they down loaded a bad patch? Also if their was any codes besides what you posted.
    Thanks, Ron! I think it might be a bad patch -- I saw a few references to the on the Internet. However, I didn't get any error messages other than what I posted, and my client isn't all that computer-literate to ask if any patches have been applied. I suspect those are pushed out over the company's network, anyway.

  4. #4
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,168
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 978 Times in 908 Posts
    Quarantine systems are always at the receiving end and for some reason your email was considered suspect.
    Are you sure the email was from you? It could have been spoofed.
    Did you send an attachment?

    cheers, Paul

  5. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Are you sure the email was from you? It could have been spoofed.
    Did you send an attachment?
    1. Yes
    2. No

    Apparently this was a one-off, because I sent emails after that (with and without attachments) and they went through without any problems.

  6. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Malware Name: EngineError

    It's been a while since the last post and i'm seeing this same behavior. Microsoft ForeFront appears to be having issues with engine updates. I've been able to clear the problem by 'forcing an engine update', but within a few weeks the problem returns.

    Allowing the updates to occur automatically (scheduled for once each hour) will typically clear the error too.

    -H

  7. #7
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,168
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 978 Times in 908 Posts
    We had ForeFront update via the WSUS infrastructure, not direct. You should always limit what Exchange accesses.

    cheers, Paul

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •