Lounger
    Thanks
    I expect that this has already been explained, but I can't find the solution so perhaps someone could help. I have a Windows SBS 2003 network. My Exchange mailbox stores all my email, but I have individual Outlook clients on various PCs (running Windows XP) pick up email from several POP accounts. I should perhaps have Exchange itself do the mail collection, but I find it convenient this way, with the clients doing the POPing (there are only a few) and it works fine; all the mail gets stored to my Exchange mailbox and also local .ost files on several PC's in the network (including a laptop often not connected to the domain). Everything syncs up nicely.

Here's the problem: I've just started experimenting with Office 2010. Setting up Outlook to work with Exchange was easy. However, when I set up a POP account, I no longer have the option to store incoming messages in my Exchange mailbox: Outlook insists I use a .pst file. How do I make all incoming messages get stored in Exchange? I tried pointing Outlook at the local .ost file but it wouldn't have it.

Many thanks!

Robin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I'd recommend you let Exchange do all the collection. With Exchange you only have to worry about one access point to secure. You can setup company wide rules, disclaimers, etc. if you need that sort of stuff. You can implement spam & virus checking at the server level blocking and/or removing things before they hit the client. It seems counter-productive to have individual POP3 accounts.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I know that that's the way it's supposed to be, with Exchange picking up the mail; nevertheless, I want to continue letting the PCs do the POPing. If I am on the road with my laptop it's very convenient to pick up my email directly from my ISP, without first having to connect to my Exchange server. It gets synced when I'm home again. Works fine with Outlook 2003.

Is there no way to tell Outlook 2010 that I want to store all my mail in my Exchange mailbox?

Robin