Thread: Win7/XP network

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to network a cumputer running Windows XP Pro with a Windows 7 Pro computer. I can see and map drives from each computer to the other.

I can create to folders/files on the XP computer from the Win 7 computer, but if I try to create a new folder or file on the Win 7 computer from the XP computer, I am blocked and get an "Access Denied" message. The workgroup names, login names and passwords on both computers are identical. Any ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Kent View Post
    I can create to folders/files on the XP computer from the Win 7 computer, but if I try to create a new folder or file on the Win 7 computer from the XP computer, I am blocked and get an "Access Denied" message.
    Where are you trying to create this file or folder? does your user have full read and write access to this location? (this would have to be set while logged on as an administrator on the Win7 machine.) Right click the folder, go to Properties and then click on the Security tab. Make sure your user has full rights to the location.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This article is often referenced for these types of questions:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

This article shows the settings I am talking about above.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning.

>>> I can create to folders/files on the XP computer from the Win 7 computer, but if I try to create a new folder or file on the Win 7 computer from the XP computer, I am blocked and get an "Access Denied" message.

I found this out too. Methinks that the PWs have to be different and mainly that one PW has to be on any machine when booting. When trying to connect over my LAN to the W-7 machine, from an XPP one, I get a dialogue asking for that machine's PW, the W-7 one. The access denied is a step before this, if all was cricket, it would go to the dialogue asking for the PW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Found the problem. In the sharing dialog I had to click on the "Advanced Sharing" button and then on the "Permissions" button and give full control. The default is read only. Thank you, everyone, for all your help.