New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All!
    Recently CheckPoint has launched a new tool to Encrypt a Hard Drive. Itīs called DataLock.
    I have 2 questions about it.
    a) Does anybody tested this soft? Opinions?
    b) Does anybody knows if I can use this software and at the same time the Microsof Mesh Service?

Thanks in advance!
    Enrique

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The "standard" for disk / file encryption is TrueCrypt. And it's free.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Paul!
    I know your point... Iīve read the manual of TrueCrypt, but it demands to burn a DVD/CD Rescue Risk. And my Notebook doesnīt have an optical drive!!!. (It has a 3 USBs ports, but I donīt have the technological guts to fake a virtual Drive in a USB Port. :-(

Besides, my question is still the same with TrueCrypt or other soft.
    Does a syncing service like Mesh from Microsoft works with the disk encrypted by DataLock, TrueCryp or other similar solution?
    Thanks!!!!
    Enrique

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As Mesh is effectively a file copy utility it should, but if it uses VSS to perform the copy it probably won't work with encryption software. To test it load TrueCrypt and create an encrypted container and mount it as the next available disk. Now try to sync files on the mounted disk.

You can use TrueCrypt to protect all of your data without encrypting the whole disk. Create a large encrypted file and mount it as a disk. Now save all of your data to the mounted disk.
    To backup the data, dismount the disk and copy the entire file to another location. All you need to recover the data is the entire file and your password - and TrueCrypt of course.
    It's not very efficient in space usage terms, but it prevents you saving the backup unencrypted.

cheers, Paul