Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    There are several folders that W7 will not permit me to open even though I'm logged in as administrator. The attached file shows that I am administrator and supposedly have full access, but I'm still prohibited from access. Any ideas as to what's going on here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    There are several folders that W7 will not permit me to open even though I'm logged in as administrator. The attached file shows that I am administrator and supposedly have full access, but I'm still prohibited from access. Any ideas as to what's going on here?
    Chuck ,
    Hello ... Think that you need to "Take Ownership" ..Click on "advanced" Then "owner tab". What does it say ? if it's not Administrators ..."Make it So" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Chuck,

If the folder is question are similar to these folders shown with what appear to be shortcut arrows:

[attachment=89473:2010-07-30_1959.png]

These are not really folders, but are called junction points. They are used by the OS for older OSes to connect to. These point toward legacy drivers. I am not explaining this well. Take a look at the linked article or similar articles found using a google search for Junction Points in Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Another, more controversial method of gaining access would be to remove "everyone" from "Group or user names".
    Look through this thread as well for other ideas on the topic of access in Windows 7.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Your attachment does NOT show that you are logged in as Administrator. It shows that the administrators group has several permissions for the folder. Notice that the icon next to "Administrators" has two "people" whereas the icon next to Chuck has one. The icon with two indicates a group. The icon with one indicates a user.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe the ones I have trouble with are indeed junction points. So I assume that's why there is no access. I must confess to some ignorance regarding the entire permissions scheme. It's much too complicated for the average user running the Homp Premium version. I'll have to do more homework.

Thanks
    It would have been easier for us to understand if MS had elected to place these Junction Points in a different folder, rather than side by side with the actual folders we can use. This was very confusing initially for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck,
    There is a simple "Tweak" program if you don't want to go through the steps yourself http://unlockforus.blogspot.com/2008/11/download.html I have the old version installed and it works on 7 also ( newer version works as well) .When you "right click " you can take ownership of any folder. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both Fred and Ted. I agree that placing the junction points right alongside other folders certainly makes for confusion/ Frankly, adding "libraries" and such in W7 has only increased the difficulty in maintining files. I was quite happy with the XP style.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Thanks to both Fred and Ted. I agree that placing the junction points right alongside other folders certainly makes for confusion/ Frankly, adding "libraries" and such in W7 has only increased the difficulty in maintining files. I was quite happy with the XP style.
    Most people will never see "junction points". You have to disable "Hide protected operating system files" for them to be visible. The most common of these "folders" are there to provide compatability for older programs that are not strictly compatible with the Windows 7 folder structure.

Libraries can be a bit confusing. But they can be very powerful. People can store files wherever they wish and still easily access them. You can create your own Libraries for whateve purpose you wish. It does take some adjustment to get away from the hierarchical setup that most people used on prior versions.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the additional information. I did have "hide protected ..." unchecked.