New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I have been a longtime reader of the newsletters (which I have found invaluable), finally got around to signing up for the Lounge. Here's my situation and (more importantly, at least for now) question:

I am researching performing an upgrade from Windows Vista on a 64 bit Toshiba Laptop to Windows 7. The laptop was purchased a year ago and belongs to a friend of mine who is (for all intents and purposes) computer illiterate - I am his go-to geek for dealing with all things technical (yay me!), but sometimes the hardest thing for me to handle are his expectations - especially regarding how long it should take me to get this deed done. So I have (after reassuring him that this would definitely be completed WELL before Christmas!) spent the past few days reading up on the processes involved, making backups - oh, and trying to clean up the messes made from a rather indiscriminate downloading of programs and files that he later regretted. As part of this upgrade, he has asked me to dump "all that stuff I don't need" and strip things down to lean mean computing machine. So, regardless of the debate over which is the best way to go, it seems pretty clear to me that MY best option is to do a clean install and I have been continuing my preps accordingly - and then, while reading through one of the recommended tutorial pages, "TweakHound", I ran across this line which has given me pause and prompted my question, which is Is this true?

"You cannot do a clean install from an upgrade disk."

If this computer guru who's site is being recommended (particularly by members on this forum) is wrong about this, maybe someone should let him know so he can correct it.

I still have several preparatory steps to complete before I take the big step of wiping the laptop and installing the new Windows version on it. My goal is to get this project finished up by Sunday night, hope that's not wishful thinking!

TIA for any clarifications provided.

Deb

Thanks
    You may find this useful

Paul Thurrots Supersite for Windows 7

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that is one of the recommended sites I've been browsing.

ETA - Okay, that was NOT the same link I had previously seen! Now I need to stop trying to speed-read through all these sites so I don't miss the important info! This project really is proving up the old adage that "HASTE MAKES WASTE!"

Again, thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are discussions on update vs. a fresh install in this forum, some of them will provide much guidance. But let me repeat what I stated in many of those discussions: the best way to upgrade a system is to buy a new disk and install Win 7 on the new disk. Also purchase a USB enclosure for the old disk - then after installing Win 7 on the new disk you can move files from the old disk to the new disk at your leisure. I did this when upgrading my laptop, my daughter's laptop, my wife's desktop and my desktop. It really is not that difficult to swap disk in a laptop, takes about 5 minutes or so.

I recall when I had to do this for my daughter - her XP system blue screened before the login screen was shown and all attempts to repair XP failed. I appeared at her dorm about 10AM one Saturday, swapped out the drives, installed Win 7, Office and a few other things and had her running by noon. You can similarly have your friend converted in a morning or evening in a small amount of time.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My 2c. If you have already paid for a working system, why spend more to gain almost nothing?
    Wait until you replace the hardware, then move to the new OS.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hi Deb and welcome to the Lounge!

If you want to install Windows 7 to replace Vista and you want to do what amounts to a clean install, you can come very close to a clean install using the upgrade Windows 7 DVD.

Using the upgrade version of Win7 will show you two options after booting to the installation DVD. The first is the option for an in place upgrade, which can be done when upgrading from Vista, but not XP. If you choose this, you will be instructed to boot into Vista and run the upgrade from within the operating system. An in place upgrade preserves the applications and settings installed in Vista. The second option is to do a Custom Install. While technically the Custom Install is not the same as a clean install, it is very similar. If you choose this option, Windows 7 will install on the Vista machine from the Win7 DVD. In the process of installation, it will move all of the Vista installation into a folder named Windows.old. Once the installation of Win7 is complete, you will have a fresh, clean install of Windows 7 that is not mixed in with the former Vista installation. Therefore, if there were any troublesome areas in the Vista installation, they will not be present to cause complications in Windows 7.

You can open the Windows.old folder to move all the user files within Windows.old into the new Windows 7 installation. You will not be able to move any applications as all apps will need to be reinstalled. Of course, it is strongly advised to backup all user files before performing the upgrade. Windows.old can be deleted like any other folder once you are sure you have copied all you need from the folder.

Many in the Lounge upgraded from Vista in this manner, and for all practical purposes, it is the equal to a clean install. That said, I really like Peter Johnson's method, and I am certain you can find the info you need in Paul Thurrots Supersite for Windows 7 on how to do the clean install Peter refers to using an upgrade DVD.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I concur with Gerald. I upgraded 5 different PCes from Vista to Win 7 with the Custom (Clean) install method. I have read far more problems with the in place upgrade because any problems in the Vista OS are carried forward into Win 7. Why start off with problemss. I used upgrade media for ALL 5 upgrades and ALL 5 worked perfectly. There are many sites that specify the procedure for doing this Custom Install. A simple Google search reveals dozens of sites. Paul Thorrott's site is excellent, Windows Seven forums are excellent, How To Geek is excellent to name a few.

The windows.old folder will assist you in getting data, user settings, contacts, favorites, etc, into you new Win 7 OS. Just drag and drop the stuff to where you want it in Win 7.

A couple of caveats, If you wish to change the Bitness of the OS (32 Bit to 64 Bit or vice versa) you must do a custom install. All attached hardware must have the same bitness for drivers as the OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb LaPuma View Post
    Hi, I have been a longtime reader of the newsletters (which I have found invaluable), finally got around to signing up for the Lounge. Here's my situation and (more importantly, at least for now) question:

I am researching performing an upgrade from Windows Vista on a 64 bit Toshiba Laptop to Windows 7. The laptop was purchased a year ago and belongs to a friend of mine who is (for all intents and purposes) computer illiterate - I am his go-to geek for dealing with all things technical (yay me!), but sometimes the hardest thing for me to handle are his expectations - especially regarding how long it should take me to get this deed done. So I have (after reassuring him that this would definitely be completed WELL before Christmas!) spent the past few days reading up on the processes involved, making backups - oh, and trying to clean up the messes made from a rather indiscriminate downloading of programs and files that he later regretted. As part of this upgrade, he has asked me to dump "all that stuff I don't need" and strip things down to lean mean computing machine. So, regardless of the debate over which is the best way to go, it seems pretty clear to me that MY best option is to do a clean install and I have been continuing my preps accordingly - and then, while reading through one of the recommended tutorial pages, "TweakHound", I ran across this line which has given me pause and prompted my question, which is Is this true?

"You cannot do a clean install from an upgrade disk."

If this computer guru who's site is being recommended (particularly by members on this forum) is wrong about this, maybe someone should let him know so he can correct it.

I still have several preparatory steps to complete before I take the big step of wiping the laptop and installing the new Windows version on it. My goal is to get this project finished up by Sunday night, hope that's not wishful thinking!

TIA for any clarifications provided.

Deb

Not necessarily wrong, but more along the lines of an interpretation of Microsoft's often confusing
    and conflicting licensing agreements.
    You can quite obviously do a clean install from an upgrade disk without penalty or issue. I will continue to recommend TweakHound.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.