Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello! I have a new PC build I'm bringing up to speed to be my main computer. On my current main I'm running Office 2007. I'm interested in putting Office 2010 on the new PC. I need Microsoft Access, so I'm looking at Office Pro. I can download it from the Microsoft Store for $499.99. For a few $$ more I can have it shipped to me.

However, when I search on-line for "office 2010 upgrade" all kinds of sites pop up who will sell me the Pro (not academic) download for far less. A number of these sites swear up and down that the downloads are full upgradeable versions whose unlock keys are delivered to me directly from Microsoft. For example, this site BetterSofts say it will sell me the download for $109.99. Their FAQ is adamant that this is a fully legit deal. However it does confirm that the download can be installed on only one PC.

Office 2010 Pro download is promoted on other sites for various prices between the $109 and Microsoft's $499. Where is the upgrade? Apparently Microsoft doesn't offer one but promotes a Key Card program at Microsoft Key Card. This really gets convoluted. For example, on that site I see "If your PC is NOT preloaded with Office 2010:" just above a Download button and a FAQ link. The Download page wants a product key. The FAQ is long and drawn out. It does verify that a key card download allows for installation on only one PC, but at $109.99 I can add them on as needed. I don't know what will happen when I rebuild my PC, which I do to two PCs every two years on alternate years.

Whew! What's your experience?

Here's my PC config below.

- Dave

ASUS P7P55 Deluxe
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W, single 60A 12V rail
    Intel Core i7 860
    Corsair CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 (4 stiicks x 2GB)
    ZOTAC ZT-98GES3M-FSL GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Drive0 (OS) OCZ SSD Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G 50GB
    Drive1 HITACHI UltraStar A7K2000 0F10452 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Drive2 (Apps, pagefile, misc.) OCZ SSD Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G 50GB
    1394 board Rosewill RC-502 NEC 3+1 1394a PCI
    1394b board Koutech 4-port 1394a/b PCIe x1
    DVD Drive Plextor PLX-850A-19 IDE S/N 310907400763
    CF Reader FireWire Sandisk Extreme Pro ExpressCard Adapter
    CF Card Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB 45MB/s UDMA
    Monitor NEC LCD2190 UXi LCD 'twist' tech.
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    There is no upgrade version of Office 2010. Your best bet is to find an upgrade version of Office 2007. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade Office 2007 with Office 2007. Then you'd qualify for Microsoft Office 2010 Technology Guarantee - Microsoft Office.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    The problem here would be to find a upgrade version of Office 2007 that actually qualifies for the free upgrade to Office 2010. Read the fine print closely anywhere you look. Most state that the version of 2007 they have, while completely legitimate, does not qualify for the free 2010 upgrade. For example Newegg has limited versions available still. The cost of the Pro is nearly what MS is charging for the Office 2010 Pro. Not much of a savings, but perhaps enough. Most other resellers I looked at do not mention the free upgrade, and this generally means the product does not qualify. MS has very tight qualifying rules.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted, it looks like I'd better just install my "old" Office 2007 and be happy with it until or if the 2010 upgrade path becomes clearer.

Thanks,

- Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McKeen View Post
    it looks like I'd better just install my "old" Office 2007 and be happy with it until or if the 2010 upgrade path becomes clearer.
    See Microsoft Office 2010 Technology Guarantee: FAQ - Technology Guarantee - Microsoft Office for more information. Beyond that, there are NO upgrade versions of Office 2010.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You all need to think about the following. I've got a friend working in IT at a corporation and they installed Microsoft Office 2010 in their workstations only to find that the online portion of this suite was brutally invasive and was causing serious security issues for the company. They ended up pulling two all nighters in a row to reinstall Microsoft Office 2007 in all those workstations which were over 200! He told me that this part of the new suite is very poorly designed and compromises security, so it was better to run Office 2007. I am tired of the install restrictions in Microsoft Office and am consequently running the Sun Microsystems OpenOffice 3.2 now. A quirky somewhat tricky to configure program but it does everything that Microsoft Office does including save in the Microsoft file formats. If you can run Microsoft Office 2003 you'll easily be able to run this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Morse III View Post
    You all need to think about the following. I've got a friend working in IT at a corporation and they installed Microsoft Office 2010 in their workstations only to find that the online portion of this suite was brutally invasive and was causing serious security issues for the company.
    If you install an Office 2010 desktop suite no one is under any obligation to use the Office web apps. They are completely optional. I'd sure like a more detailed breakdown of what "brutally invasive" really means and what "serious security issues" really are.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I agree, I chose not to install the online portions of Office 2010. I believe most home users would not have a need. The basic on your PC portion of 2010 seems very stable and easier to customize and set up the way you want.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I was getting ready to start a new tread on why I as an individual should upgrade to Office 2010, when I came across this post.
    For me as an individual, I can see no compelling reason to upgrade. That simple! What with the new Skydrive, web apps, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and One Note are available, Ok so the collaboration mat not be there, but I don't care. As for Outlook, the format changed as well when I installed the Wave 4 Beta, I now have a "People Pane"
    Oh yea I am running Office 2007 Pro.
    I realize that there my be other things that are in '10, that aren't in '07, but for everyday use, is it really worth the cost?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    I was getting ready to start a new tread on why I as an individual should upgrade to Office 2010, when I came across this post.
    For me as an individual, I can see no compelling reason to upgrade. That simple! What with the new Skydrive, web apps, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and One Note are available, Ok so the collaboration mat not be there, but I don't care. As for Outlook, the format changed as well when I installed the Wave 4 Beta, I now have a "People Pane"
    I realize that there my be other things that are in '10, that aren't in '07, but for everyday use, is it really worth the cost?
    The only reason I upgraded from 2007 to 2010 is my cost. My wife works at a university that offers steep discounts for MS Office produccts, and I'm not talking a student version. We were offered a 2010 Pro Plus version at insanely low prices, so low that I would have been crazy not to do it. The 2010 does work very well, but if you have to spend retail prices, for home use I would have to think twice as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    The Wave 4 Beta is for Windows Live Essentials including Windows Live Mail not Outlook. The look & feel of Outlook has nothing to do with Wave 4.

If you see no compelling reason to upgrade Office that is fine. YOU are the only one who can make that determination. If you are looking for more information about Office 2010 I suggest you start with What's New in Excel 2010 - Excel - Microsoft Office, What’s new in Word 2010 for 2003 upgraders - Word - Microsoft Office, What's new in Microsoft Outlook 2010 - Outlook - Microsoft Office, What's new in PowerPoint 2010? - PowerPoint - Microsoft Office, & What's new in Microsoft Access - Access - Microsoft Office. Not knowing which product you use and how you use them makes it impossible to be specific.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    The Wave 4 Beta is for Windows Live Essentials including Windows Live Mail not Outlook. The look & feel of Outlook has nothing to do with Wave 4.

If you see no compelling reason to upgrade Office that is fine. YOU are the only one who can make that determination. If you are looking for more information about Office 2010 I suggest you start with What's New in Excel 2010 - Excel - Microsoft Office, What’s new in Word 2010 for 2003 upgraders - Word - Microsoft Office, What's new in Microsoft Outlook 2010 - Outlook - Microsoft Office, What's new in PowerPoint 2010? - PowerPoint - Microsoft Office, & What's new in Microsoft Access - Access - Microsoft Office. Not knowing which product you use and how you use them makes it impossible to be specific.

Joe
    Joe,
    All I know is that after installing the Wave 4 Beta, and setting everything up, this is what my Outlook now looks like. I can definitely say that that is not how it looked before. And no I did not install Live Mail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    That is the result of installing Download details: Microsoft Outlook Social Connector 32-bit. I don't believe that is part of Wave 4.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    That is the result of installing Download details: Microsoft Outlook Social Connector 32-bit. I don't believe that is part of Wave 4.

Joe
    that could very well be Joe, but I have had the Social connector installed for quite some time, (Over a year) without my Outlook appearing like that. After the Wave 4 installation is when it appeared.
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    that could very well be Joe, but I have had the Social connector installed for quite some time, (Over a year) without my Outlook appearing like that. After the Wave 4 installation is when it appeared.
    Are you sure you are not thinking of the Hotmail Connector? The Social Connector for older versions of Outlook was just released in June.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast