New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a new Dell SFF Desktop running Windows 7 64 bit and a 750GB hard drive. Where on-line can I find a good tutorial on hard drive partitioning and installing a dual boot system? All suggestions appreciated.Deane W

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Partition information.
    Dual boot will be handled by the system you install. An alternative would be to load MS Virtual PC and run the other system in tandem.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hi Deane and welcome to the Lounge!

Here is a good tutorial on dual booting Windows 7 and Windows XP.

There is a listing of related links at the bottom of this tutorial, including one for dual booting Windows 7 and Vista.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    A simple Goggle search shows many sites offering advice on dual booting. It is quite easy.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My thanks to the three who responded. Having looked a little further I find Gerald's link the most helpful as it provides a good starting point for mr to do some homework before starting something I have not previously tried. Many thanks

Deane W

Thanks
    Hi Deane. I would really recommend you go for the virtual drive route as proposed by PT in his post above. (Use MS Virtual Machine, or go to this link to download "VMwarePlayer" (click on VMware 3.1.0 under "developer Tools):

http://www.filehippo.com/

If I may quote from a post to a thread of mine (Here: http://bro.ws/777132L) by mercyh:

"About 3 years ago, I totally went away from dual boot in favor of virtual machines. I have found so many ways that they are superior.

1> almost instant boot times.

2> the ability to share files between the guest and host OS instantly. (I do some program development and can develop in the OS of my choice and store the program or spreadsheet I am working with on a shared location. I can then test compatibility by jumping over to any other OS that may be used and load the program.)

3> removing all traces of the guest OS is as simple as deleting two files.

4> rolling back to an earlier time on the guest is as simple as saving the virtual hard drive file and then copying it back whenever I want to roll back, or if I want the original and the "used" version, I just attach the original as another virtual machine and give it a different name.

5> Virtual hard drives do not need dedicated space or partitions, they can grow based on actual used space within the drive.

6> No fooling around with boot loaders and deciding which machine I want to start. Boot time on the Host OS is the same as a single boot system because it IS a single boot system.

7> the ability to boot a virus infected virtual Guest Operating system with NO connection to the Local network with one setting in the Virtual Machine software's control panel.

8> Install almost instantly from mounted .ISO files instead of digging out install DVDs whenever you need to repair or install a new guest system.

9> Convert current running Physical machines directly to virtual machines using free tools available online.

and on and on and on............"
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    @Ted: The mind boggles at your "Goggle" search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers. Time for a bite to eat now. (Lunch time out here).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    The only reason I dual boot XP and Windows 7 is for the five games I purchased three to four years ago that I would someday like to complete. If not for that, I would run XP in a VM. If I ever finish those games, I'll be ditching the XP installation.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you wish to look into VM, Fred J Usack has started a thread here: http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...0&#entry852650

I am working on an install tutorial for VMware player that will be posted to that thread. I hope to have it done by this weekend.

If you have Win7 pro or ultimate I would definitely use Microsoft Virtual PC with Windows XP mode as it is preconfigured and ready to use and legally licensed. Remember that for licensing purposes a Virtual Machine is the same as another physical computer. (This is also true of dual boot if I understand correcly so if you are licensed to install a system as a second boot system you should be fine installing it to VM)

Once you have the Microsof Virtual PC installed you can install as many "other" machines as you have licenses for and your harddrive(s) will hold.

following is the link to the MS virtual PC download page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Thanks
    @mercyh: Hmmm. I installed windows 7 64-bit in VMware Player last night on my windows 7 32-bit system. Works a dream (It will be interesting to see if my process ties in with your intended tutorial! Edit: I see from the tutorial you posted at http://bro.ws/777169L that it does!). Of course, proper testing of RAM usage is not possible because of the RAM-sharing taking place between the 32-bit "host" system and the 64-bit virtual system. I will now try various programs and test some hardware for driver functionality before, most likely, fully replacing my 32 bit installation with a full 64-bit one.

NOTE: To run 64 bit with a 32 bit Host OS you need to have hardware that supports hardware virtualization and turn it on in the BIOS. mercyh warned of this in a previous thread: I forgot, and had my VMware Player setup fail. I had to re-boot via BIOS setup making the necessary change before proceeding to install VMware Player again.

Three points of interest: VMware allows access to my printer from within the 64-bit system via the host (32-bit) OS, and does not require it to be installed with a 64-bit driver under the virtual syhstem. Similarly, the virtual machine accesses the internet using the 32-bit host LAN adapter and does not require the 64-bit driver to be installed. The 64-bit OS is unable(refuses) to install the 64-bit driver for my video card (presumably because the 32-bit driver is needed to run the 32-bit system?????. I DID, however, have to install a 64-bit driver on the virtual OS to enable use of my scanner)---Any way, that's what I observed before I finally gave in to the need to get some shut-eye at 0300 local time this morning. (It is now 0900!)

Legal note:
    Microsoft, by the way, advised me on the 'phone, that the trial period (before activation must be performed) does not "count" as far as violating EULAs is concerned. ie, I have a licensed, activated Windows 7 32-bit installation on my desktop. I have the non-activated 64-bit version on my virtual drive--This is "legal". One would not be permitted to activate the 64-bit version while the 32 bit version was still installed, unless the product EULA permitted this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft, by the way, advised me on the 'phone, that the trial period (before activation must be performed) does not "count" as far as violating EULAs
    true, and there is a 90 day trial of win7 enterprise available here if you fit one of MS's "tech" categories:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/e...x?ITPID=wtcpgs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you get out of it when the time comes?

I have a dual-boot 32-bit Vista and 64-bit Win 7 setup on separate physical drives, which works perfectly well, but Vista is no longer welcome and I can't remember how I set up the dual-boot in the first place. I would also like to remove the physical drive and put it in a different computer for storage purposes, so I'm not worried in the short run about the contents of the Vista drive, although I want to salvage any programs and serial numbers that can be installed elsewhere.

Thanks
    Just an update to my earlier post of 05 August. What a pleasure to use a virtual machine as a "test bench". I have finished playing with a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and Office 2010 64-bit set up in VMPlayer. I identified a few hardware "obstacles" to me using office 2010 64-bit and found that Windows 7 64-bit is fully compatible with my hardware and other software. So, now I have just competed a clean, full (legal) install and activation of Windows 7 Professiona 64-bit with Office 2010 32-bit (plus my other "stuff". All is now up and running just fine. The whole test process was much quicker, cleaner and less painful than the "proper" installation on my system would have been and competely avoided the hassle of going dual boot and then undoing it. I was able to get everything done well within the "activation time" of the trial software, so I also managed to stay within the law. Great!. (A fine example to all Lounge users, indeed(!))