New Lounger
    Thanks

Active X Controls - Invalid...HELP! (Access 97 SR-2)

I created a database in access 97 under a windows 98 environment. After an upgrade to Window 2000 problems began arising. Run-time errors (429) as well as other problems began occuring. I was able to resolve the issue and thought that I had everything under control. However, recently a user got a new computer and tried to open the database and the errors are occuring again...(Run-time error 429). The database resides on a LAN and has several users at a time working in it (at most). The other users do not have a problem with the run-time errors. Just the user with the new computer. Each user has a copy of access on their c: drive, so I am assuming that the problem resides with a missing active x control on the one users computer. I copied over the files from C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedDAO hoping this would solve the problem...But no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to open the database on the machine having problems and ensure that the References are pointing to the correct control? If so, will this affect the other users? Finally, I know that the Access 2000 Developers Handbook has an example of adding/correcting missing active x controls (I have the book and the disc)...Would this solve the problem and if so, does any one have the 97 version they can provide me with?

Sorry for the long message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Active X Controls - Invalid...HELP! (Access 97 SR-2)

Yes, you should definitely check for missing references on the VBA side of things. Another possibility is if you are using the Windows Common Controls or the Calendar controls, there are some weird things that happen when users have a different version than the developer did. There were also some reported problems in running Access 97 DBs on Windows 2000 systems, but I believe most of those were solved with the first service release of Win2K. Another possibility is that the new PC was shipped with a version of Office2K, and you have some left-over DLLs or OCXs that didn't get removed by the uninstall of Office2K. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

I am also running Office 97 SR-2 with Windows 2000 SR-1.

I ran into the problem when I tried to add a TreeView Control to a form. Various messages appeared concerning the in ability of the system to support my wants. No matter how I tried, or how many times I tried I could not paste the control on the form.

As I recall, Charlotte explained that Office 97 is supported by VB5 and Windows 2000 is supported by VB6 so while most controls will work in both environments, some will not. It is the upgraded user who looses....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, it's Office 2000 that uses VB6. Windows 2000 uses some of the same libraries as VB6, but not necessarily the same versions, as witness the ADO libraries.
    Charlotte