Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    In the "good old days" (perhaps a year and a half ago) I typically avoided long downloads on very slow dial up connections by using my high speed connection to download anti-virus sofware and latest update files onto a flash drive. Then I could use it to install on a machine with a very slow Internet connection. However, today it seems that the downloaded file is very small and all it does is connect to the Internet to download the actual program..I tried the scheme today on a friend's low speed system to install the free AVG program, and the download time was estimated at over 9 hours! Any suggestions on how to get the entire program onto a flash drive?

Thanks
    Install your flash drive.Open the Computer icon to see what drive letter it is.Then go to the download site.When the page comes up to save the file.Simply click on save then browse for the letter of your flash drive.Then click on save.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    In the "good old days" (perhaps a year and a half ago) I typically avoided long downloads on very slow dial up connections by using my high speed connection to download anti-virus sofware and latest update files onto a flash drive. Then I could use it to install on a machine with a very slow Internet connection. However, today it seems that the downloaded file is very small and all it does is connect to the Internet to download the actual program..I tried the scheme today on a friend's low speed system to install the free AVG program, and the download time was estimated at over 9 hours! Any suggestions on how to get the entire program onto a flash drive?
    Search around a little and you'll find something such as Download AVG Free Edition 9.0.851 - FileHippo.com (an 89MB download).

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I had searched around, but didn't run on to that site.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An increasing number of people seem to opt for Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). The latest MSE virus definitions can be downloaded from Get the latest definitions

Chris

Thanks
    @ChrisJakarta: And, MSE is free!!!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I've been installing MSE on several computers lately.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Would like to suggest Panda Cloud AV.

Small footprint, free, low resource use.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll have to give it a look.