2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again, Colleagues All,
    My previous posts have all been about Windows and Office on XP operating systems, but now I am onto something new. I currently have two computers, both running XP, but one set up for Office 2000 and the other for Office 2003. The reason for this is I have a few clients who run these earlier versions (I can tolerate Access 97 because 2000 will happily convert forward and backwards). However, my son, who is a project manager for CSC and knows something about the differences between systems, wants to buy me a new PC running Windows 7. He asserts that I will be able to run the various versions of Office side-by-side and therefore I will not need the old machines. Can anybody tell me whether this is true or will I only be able to run one version in Windows 7 and the other in XP mode. If I have options of running all versions directly in Windows 7, what are the advantages and disadvantages of this versus XP mode ?

Your wise replies awaited with bated breath.

Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can have multiple versions installed side-by-side. However, you can have only one version of Outlook. Outlook 2000 will not run on Win7 anyway. I've always been leery of running multiple versions of Office concurrently.

I'd rather have the latest installed in Win7. Have another installed in XP mode. And install another VM such as VirtualBox to house the third version. If you do that the versions will be isolated from each other. That is good thing.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds like very good advice, Joe. I particularly like the idea of having each version running in an entirely separate mode, so there should be no conflict between them. While I try and keep the versions separate on my machines, I sometimes have to transfer applications from one machine to another. Then, as soon as Windows recognises the application as different from the installed one, it immediately starts doing "updates" which often means inserting a CD. After I have done what I have to do, I have to carry out the same procedure in reverse manually. It would appear that I should not have the same problem on the new machine.

One more question, if I may. If I (say) develop a procedure in VBA, can I export it directly to a database developed in another version or should I output it to a file so that each version is unaware of the presence of the other ? Direct export works when I connect two machines, but I wonder how I would go when they reside on the same machine. I suspect that it should be OK if the files operating in the different modes are globally visible (as in Windows Explorer, for instance).

The Outlook issue does not worry me. If all else fails, I can fall back on Firefox or Chrome or whatever.

Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Direct export should work because as far as any of the OSes are concerned each is running on a different machine.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, Joe.

I await the arrival of my new Compaq Presario with great impatience. After years of suffering under a 250 Mbyte memory and 40 Mbytes ofHDD, even this relatively small machine with 4 Gbytes memory and 500 Gbytes HDD should be hugely liberating ! No more stop/start videos.!

Jim