Lounger
    Thanks
    After installing IE8 on some Win XP SP-3 PCs I noticed an uncommon behaviour: When clicking a link from the favorites menu or bar it would always open a new tab and display there. Normally the page from the favorites link would load inside the current tab (so did IE6, IE7 and also IE8 on some other PCs). I tried setting the options for tabbed browsing to various combinations but this did not help.

Then I realized that the machines where favorites opened a new tab had .NET framework 3.5 SP1 installed whereas the "nicely" behaving ones had only .NET 2.0. So I uninstalled first IE8, then .NET 3.5 (leaving 3.0 installed). Install IE8 again: no more new tabs from favorites! Install .NET 3.5 again (this time "on top" IE8): no more new tabs from favorites. SIGH!

Besides this being a bit awkward (whilst not uncommon) it is a lot of work to do with many computers, all this uninstalling an reinstalling. So maybe someone knows why this happens and maybe an easy solution is just a registryhack away???

Lounger
    Thanks
    POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOUND ! (not sure whether it's final, I'll keep ya informed)

Oh Boy...
    I had installed the addon "IE7pro" on some computers and this one has - amongst others - options for "new tab from favorites" and "new tab from favorites bar". These were enabled on some computer and on others not.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Glad you found it. Addons are the first place to start looking when there is an IE problem. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOUND ! (not sure whether it's final, I'll keep ya informed)

Oh Boy...
    I had installed the addon "IE7pro" on some computers and this one has - amongst others - options for "new tab from favorites" and "new tab from favorites bar". These were enabled on some computer and on others not.
    I am glad you found that! I have .NET framework 3.5 running in XP Professional Service Pack 3 on my desktop and had absolutely no problem with that at all after installing Internet Explorer 8 in that machine. I was thinking it had to be something else and so it was! I am still kicking myself for listening to Windows Secrets and delaying installing IE8. IE7 was very unstable in my XP Professional installation and IE8 has been solid as a rock! Fortunately my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit version already came with IE8 already installed so I don't know if IE7 would be as unstable in that OS.