Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    How about this:

I am aware of responses to a previous thread on this topic (also posted by me) such as EULA quotes to the effect of "one user per installation" One verision per user, etc. But this is an ACADEMIC question : is a dual boot windows 32 bit and 64 bit setup POSSIBLE? (OMITTING EULA RESTRICTIONS for the sake of argument)

Assuming you have a copy of Windows 7 (with a EULA that allows installation on more than one PC see the last paragraph of this post), COULD you, for the sake of testing compatibility/suitablity issues, install Windows 7 32-bit AND Windows 64-bit as a DUAL BOOT system (ensuring each OS is installed on a different hard disk or on different partitions of the same disk)? And, if so, would they interfere with each other in any way (I would expect not, but maybe......)

Would the one detect the other and refuse installation? (Main Boot Record, MBR, conflict?)

If this IS possible, it's one way to test if the 64-bit version is "for you" or not, without messing up your 32 bit installation.

Presumably one could also do this via installation on a virtual drive?

Of course, in my "Just for the sake of argument case", any software tested with both OS-es would also be required to be used in accordance with each one's applicable EULA.

(Incidentally, I believe, legally, it WOULD be OK to install a 64 -bit and a 32 -bit version on the same PC if you had a EULA that permitted installation of "windows 7" ("the product") on any 2 PCs in your household. A number of Loungers have posted that they have such versions of Windows 7). Only one "version" would be able to be used at a time by the "Same user".)
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure,if you have a TechNet Subscription (or another similar one from MS) you can basically go "nuts" installing and testing all sorts of software from Microsoft, including the SP1 betas (though you have to fudge a little and indicate you are an IT professional to get those) and any variety of Windows 7 (you get 10 licenses I believe).

As far as function goes, sure, partitions are discrete so they don't intermix wether its two different flavors of OS or two different bit-versions of the same OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    but why not use Virtual Machines instead?

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Thanks
    Thanks. Yes, that was what my particularly convoluted question was really about: Use different partitions or virtual machines?
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the answer to your question is that you can run multiboot with the same version of windows. (you will probably have to install with the the original boot drive's power pulled so your machine does not "see" it.) You would then have to edit your bootloader manually to allow you to boot either install.

About 3 years ago, I totally went away from dual boot in favor of virtual machines. I have found so many ways that they are superior.

1> almost instant boot times.

2> the ability to share files between the guest and host OS instantly. (I do some program development and can develop in the OS of my choice and store the program or spreadsheet I am working with on a shared location. I can then test compatibility by jumping over to any other OS that may be used and load the program.)

3> removing all traces of the guest OS is as simple as deleting two files.

4> rolling back to an earlier time on the guest is as simple as saving the virtual hard drive file and then copying it back whenever I want to roll back, or if I want the original and the "used" version, I just attach the original as another virtual machine and give it a different name.

5> Virtual hard drives do not need dedicated space or partitions, they can grow based on actual used space within the drive.

6> No fooling around with boot loaders and deciding which machine I want to start. Boot time on the Host OS is the same as a single boot system because it IS a single boot system.

7> the ability to boot a virus infected virtual Guest Operating system with NO connection to the Local network with one setting in the Virtual Machine software's control panel.

8> Install almost instantly from mounted .ISO files instead of digging out install DVDs whenever you need to repair or install a new guest system.

9> Convert current running Physical machines directly to virtual machines using free tools available online.

and on and on and on............

Can you tell that I am a fan of virtual machines?.....

Thanks
    @mercyh: I am convinced I'll "buy" one!

One could, I assume, having tested the "temporary" 64-bit OS, install a "disk image" of the virtual machine installation onto a suitably prepared drive/partition and then remove the original 32-bit OS. (If I read par >8 of your earlier post to this thread correcly).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I personally have a system that has every windows OS from DOS 6.1 through Win7 32 bit as virtual machine guest systems (That is all the "client" operating systems, it does not include any "server" versions of windows). All this is running an a Win7 32bit host.

I have a client that has an old survey drafting program that runs on DOS 6.1. He is running it as a virtual machine on a 27" IMac that is running Windows XP as the host, dual booting with Mac OS X. (I am pretty sure DOS was never designed to run on a 27" monitor but it works flawlessly)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    @mercyh: I am convinced I'll "buy" one!

One could, I assume, having tested the "temporary" 64-bit OS, install a "disk image" of the virtual machine installation onto a suitably prepared drive/partition and then remove the original 32-bit OS. (If I read par >8 of your earlier post to the thread correcly).

A couple of caveat's

To run 64 bit with a 32 bit Host OS you need to have a [s]software[/s] hardware that supports hardware virtualization and turn it on in the BIOS.

You will have HAL issues if you try to convert a Virtual to Physical machine. If your intention is to try it with the thought of abandoning the 32bit install eventually, you may have just made a strong case AGAINST virtual as you will probably need to fresh install again on the physical machine when you decide to go that route. You may also not be able to address enough RAM with the virtual machine to truly test any performance increase you might get from 64bit. You should however be able to test any program or hardware incompatibilities with the virtual machine.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >8 refers to how I install a virtual machine.

When I get a new OS (or an Install DVD for any program) I create an ISO file of the disk to my 1TB usb hard drive. These are the backup files for my install media. The install DVD's are then placed in a file cabinet until needed. The Virtual machine will directly mount these ISO files and when booted will boot from them just as if they were real physical dvd's. The install from this media source takes about 1/3rd of the time of an install directly from dvd.

Thanks
    @mercyh: Many thanks. All is now clear. My intention, once I am fully clear about EULA, issues is to "play around" with the 64 bit version to see if there is any noticable difference, and more importantly, to ensure compatibity with drivers of older hardware (such as scanner, GPS and cameras which I believe will function OK, and in the case of my scanner I know will be OK). Then, to find the energy to do a "clean install" (you have solved the "image" installation option for me: HAL may be an issue) and put up with possible hassles from Microsft when I re-activate their programs.......

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When the Windows 7 beta came out early last year I installed both the 32- and 64-bit versions on my laptop, in different partitions. I did this mainly because I did not know how good the driver support was for my laptop's components in 64-bit. It all ran just fine but I found myself running 64-bit more often so when the release candidate came out later that year I installed on 64-bit, ditto for the RTM. And I seem to have been able to find 64-bit drivers for all my hardware; well, except my 10 year old Visioneer scanner that has a parallel printer port as a connector... ;-)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    I am aware of responses to a previous thread on this topic (also posted by me) such as EULA quotes to the effect of "one user per installation" One verision per user, etc. But this is an ACADEMIC question : is a dual boot windows 32 bit and 64 bit setup POSSIBLE? (OMITTING EULA RESTRICTIONS for the sake of argument)
    Peter S,
    Hello.. The virtual route seems very interesting and will explore this myself.. But in answering this Question..... without the "VM ware" ... Hypothetically speaking of course.... It is "technically" possible. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    but why not use Virtual Machines instead?

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    mercyh,
    Hello ..I am interested in the "VM" concept. However the link you supplied requires that you are an " IT " company or work for one ... do you have any others that can be explored without being part of the "industry" ? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about that link. I never even noticed as it is the link I use.

Filehippo has it here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_vmware_player/

This is the current version 3.1.0

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also if you have win7 pro or higher, XP mode included Microsoft virtual PC which allows you to run any virtual operating system.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast