Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an HP printer and use Firefox. On installing the printer I had the smart web printing extension added. It does not work with Firefox. The add-on message is "Not compatible with Firefox 3.6.8". The uninstall button is greyed out. I have looked for web-based advice on this to no avail. It seems that HP do not have a solution.

I recently found out how to remove the .NET framework assistant using http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600 I spotted in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Extensions a reference to smartwebprinting@hp.com. As removing the .net entry worked can I assume removing the smart web one will also work?

Brian

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-Martin View Post
    I have an HP printer and use Firefox. On installing the printer I had the smart web printing extension added. It does not work with Firefox. The add-on message is "Not compatible with Firefox 3.6.8". The uninstall button is greyed out. I have looked for web-based advice on this to no avail. It seems that HP do not have a solution.

I recently found out how to remove the .NET framework assistant using http://www.annoyance...w/article08-600 I spotted in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Extensions a reference to smartwebprinting@hp.com. As removing the .net entry worked can I assume removing the smart web one will also work?

Brian
    I had some problems with add-on compatibility in FF, particularly the beta v 4.0b2. I downloaded the Firefox Compatibility Reporter and the incompatible Add-Ons worked. Perhaps this would work for you as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Did this just occur with the latest version (3.6.7 to 3.6.8) or coming from 3.5.10?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-Martin View Post
    As removing the .net entry worked can I assume removing the smart web one will also work?
    I don't think it's safe to "assume" when it comes to the registry...

Is there an uninstaller in the Add/Remove Programs control panel?

Are there any relevant threads on HP's support forum?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted

Brilliant. Thanks for pointing me to the Firefox Compatibility Reporter. The extension now works. I have printed a two page document. Previously printing stopped after one page.
    I have spotted there is a new tab for Smart web printing in Tool > Options. When I changed the radio button (from Automatic to Please check etc) the OK button did not work. Well, cannot have everything.
    EDIT. I forgot to mention the Cancel button did work.

I thought I had looked at all possible blogs on the HP problem and found nothing that was helpful, certainly there was no advice on using the Compatibility Reporter.

jscher2000

When I checked the Firefox history against the date of purchasing the printer I must have been using 3.5.x. So the problem existed then but I was prepared to live with it.

Thanks for confirming my doubts about "fiddling" with the registry.

Add/remove has an entry for the HP Smart Web Printing. I was reluctant to remove it as Smart Web Printing worked with XP.

I had looked at a number of HP-related blogs and there was a persistent complaint that HP had not resolved the issue.

Brian

Thanks
    Glad the Compatibility Reporter worked. Unfortunately these work arounds sometimes cause loss of some functionality. This is one of the things we put up with when hardware manufacturers do not update drivers to keep up with updated software.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy