New Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently the icons on my laptop changed from the default icons for each program, all my software, not just Windows programs, to what looks like a piece of paper. Can't figure out how to change it. anyone else run into this?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Huber View Post
    Recently the icons on my laptop changed from the default icons for each program, all my software, not just Windows programs, to what looks like a piece of paper. Can't figure out how to change it. anyone else run into this?
    Patrick,
    Hello,
    I have had the same problem intermittently with "icons" on my Windows 7 \ 64 "OS" "Joe P" was kind enough to set me straight, The problem was that the "IconCache.db" file was corrupted for some reason that i have never found. You can find this file and "delete it " and it will be rebuilt.. It's in C:>Users>Username>AppData>Local>IconCache.db. Can't remember if you have to re-boot or not, after deleting Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like you have the MS "fix it" for the .lnk vulerability. Is it just for the shortcuts or everything shortcut or not? If it is just the shorcuts, there is a out of band update from Microsoft being released today I believe to address that, and keep shortcut icons normal. I would probably run a system restore to get rid of the "fix it" and then go get the latest update but that may not be necessary as the out of band patch may remedy the "fix it" as well.

Thanks
    Use Elevated Command Prompt to Rebuild the Icon Cache
    NOTE: This option uses the same command used in OPTION ONE, but you are doing it manually in the command prompt instead.
    1. Open the Start Menu, and type cmd in the search box and press enter.
    2. In the command prompt, type each command line below one at a time followed by pressing enter after each single line.
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    DEL IconCache.db /a
    EXIT
    3. Log off and log on, or restart the computer to rebuild the icon cache.
    NOTE: This rebuilds and recreates a new IconCache.db file.
    You may need to boot afterwards.
    use of the sfc /scannow command may also be needed if system icons are affected as well.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried to find IconCache in Win 7. Search says it does not exist.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PHIL QUARTARARO View Post
    Tried to find IconCache in Win 7. Search says it does not exist.
    May need to go to "organise/ folder and search/ view". And tick "show hidden files and folders".
    Then search for "C:>Users>Username>AppData>Local>IconCache.db. " to delete the cache folder.
    Will need to reboot for cache to be rebuilt.

A better search tool to use is "Everything" that will find hidden folders and is much faster than the windows search.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Just for those that seem unable to find web sites for themselves, here is a link for Everything Search Engine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy