3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I am using Outlook 2007 under 64-bit Windows 7 (upgraded from 64-bit Vista if that fact is a meaningful factor). I have used Outlook for years now and love it, but I very recently noticed something that I would like to change if there is a way of doing so. Using Outlook as long as I have, I was hesitant to show my ignorance and ask for help, but the simple fact is I cannot figure it out myself.

In a few sentences, until very recently I used Outlook 2007 with the default format set for *.html, which has always displayed the attachment on any message that had one as an icon in a toolbar I believe directly below the subject line. However, I recently changed my default message format to *.rtf (rich text) format and now attachments appear as an icon at the top of the message body itself, and I can find no setting anywhere to make it go back to the message bar and out of the message body. Am I missing something somewhere, or is this simply an UNchangeable feature of rich text format?

I can live with it if such is the case, but is there something I can reset somewhere to place the attachment icon IN RICH TEXT back to the message bar below the subject line? Do I have to return to *.html as default message format in order to get attachments to display somewhere out of the message body? I would sure appreciate it if some kind soul out there can tell me how to do it or. . .if such is the case tell me it simply cannot be done in rich text. :-(

David E. Cann

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    It can't be done in RTF. RTF is the only format in Outlook which permits you to embed attachments at any point in the message body text. Actually most people complain that they can't place attachments in-line in HTML format. :smile: What you are seeing is standard behavior since Outlook first arrived.

However Dave, RTF format does not always successfully pass through unix mail servers - the body text is replaced by a file called <something>.dat, and if you Google Outlook and .dat files, you'll see that RTF causes quite a hassle.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBF View Post
    It can't be done in RTF. RTF is the only format in Outlook which permits you to embed attachments at any point in the message body text. Actually most people complain that they can't place attachments in-line in HTML format. :smile: What you are seeing is standard behavior since Outlook first arrived.

However Dave, RTF format does not always successfully pass through unix mail servers - the body text is replaced by a file called <something>.dat, and if you Google Outlook and .dat files, you'll see that RTF causes quite a hassle.

John, I kind of expected that answer, but I had hopes. I guess the only solutions is to return to default *.html format email. Problem there is the fact that I subscribe to a lot of "mailing lists" that convert posts to text format, and among other things I was getting posts with extra line spaces between paragraphs and elsewhere when my post would show up after conversion to text, and I noticed that did not occur when I changed my default format to rich text. . . but the attachment problem DID show up. Sort of trading one annoyance for another. I guess I just need to make up my mind which way I want it. . . .the attachment display, or 1 or 2 extra spaces between lines, unless you have a suggested solution for the latter which only shows up in html.. <sigh>

David E. Cann

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    the attachment display, or 1 or 2 extra spaces between lines, unless you have a suggested solution for the latter which only shows up in html. <sigh>
    Enter will give you two lines - in HTML enter is treated as a paragraph break. Shift-enter will give you one - it's converted into a line break.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS