3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm at my wits end. Sometimes everything is fine and suddenly I can't get on any web site but Google from there I can't get any place. Most of the time it just times out. When a site finally loads the wheel keeps spinning, OE has for the most part no problem with email. There was one time today that I couldn't send anything though. I can access any of the anti virus sites. I can update my anti virus and have Spybot and Advanced System Care running also.

I have 2 computers on the network, one wired the other wireless, and I'm having the same problem with both. I replaced the Comcast modem today. I don't thing it's the ethernet card or the router because I can ping anything and no lose. Comcast tested the modem and got the same results.

While I've be typing this I've been trying to get on Facebook and nothing just now it jumped right on.

I have no idea where to start.

Marc

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the following tool to start troubleshooting.

http://www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html

set it to ping something like www.google.com and set the trace time to 5 seconds. Let it run on your task bar and when you see the problem with access, pull it up and see if it shows the problem.

This program runs a tracert at whatever interval you set and graphs the results.

If the problem is in the first "hop", it is on your network. If it is the second hop it could be you or your ISP, If it is beyond that you need to talk to your ISP and see if they can help....

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Neermann View Post
    I have no idea where to start.
    Just a thought Marc - when your access "drops" what are the lights on your adsl router doing?

I ask because I had an older router that was great but would overheat and would effectively go through a restart process - whih of course takes time.

Thanks
    A couple of questions here. 1)What type of router do you have? 2)When was the last time you updated your firmware on the router?
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved it sorry I should have posted. The old modem was right next to the router and was one of those Motorola Surfboards. It was replaces with a Cisco so I put in on top of the router. A tech called up with the excuse of saving them a trip and tested the modem and it was working fine. The computer was going directly into the modem. She told me to unplug the router. I don't remember her reasoning but it was BS. She also told me that one of the reasons I couldn't connect through the router was because I had my computers on static IPs. After I got off the phone with her and was not very happy I remembered that a Earthlink tech had told me to separate the modem and the router. Bingo it worked.

Thanks Marc