Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings,

I used TrueCrypt to secure my portable hard drive that I use with the free, built-in Windows 7 Backup utility. After I encrypted the volume and went through the TrueCrypt password facility Windows 7 recognizes the portable hard drive (when I click Computer). I can open files on the hard drive, copy & paste, etc., BUT Windows 7 Backup does not recognize the volume. Can someone give me a step-by-step procedure for getting around this problem?

Here is a link to a TrueCrypt forum post that concerns this issue http://forums.truecrypt.org/viewtopic.php?p=79965#79965.

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This is likely because Windows backup is attempting to use Volume Shadow Copy and the TrueCrypt disk does not support VSS (yes, the TLA is different from the name - ask Microsoft). See if you can set the backup program to not use VSS?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

I'm afraid this is over my head. I do not know how to coax Win 7's backup utility to not do a shadow copy.

I've struggled with Windows 7 backup ever since I upgraded from Vista. Apparently the Win 7 version is different from the backup that's in Vista. Here's a very long forum post that I found: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...2-41edaed1e2f9, however I do not believe there are steps to prevent shadow copy.

I'm clueless as to how to implement your suggestion.

Sam

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try these suggestions?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    None of the suggestions on the link you provided solve my problem.

I like that the Windows 7 backup utility is free and that it backs up to standard zip files. I have analyzed dozens of backup utilities and found none that offer what the free Win 7 backup utility does, although clumsily.

I guess I'll have to wait until TrueCrypt gets around to supporting the Win 7 backup utility.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    TrueCrypt will not support the Win 7 backup utility - it's not a requirement for TC to work.
    If you want to backup your TC files individually you will have to keep searching.

cheers, Paul