Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    In another thread The free program "VMwarePlayer" http://www.filehippo..._vmware_player/ was talked about, and thought that this deserves a thread on its own, as i have no idea how this works .. (other than a very basic understanding.) So .... i downloaded and installed (after doing a full OS backup) and using Acronis "Try and Decide" to preview this software.(double paranoid ) It installed no problem ...I had to "Enable" running virtual mode in BIOS, and also run their free program to check that my "CPU" could do this. I have a few questions ... after clicking through a few screens i wanted to install (or create) a "Virtual OS". The screen asked to input the " original installation disk" Question ... Can you load the OS that you want from another HD that is already installed with all updates and programs , or do you have to "rebuild " everything from scratch ? Think that i read that there are "tools " that you can use to do this.. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated "VM Newbie" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Two links, the first is within the VMware website and you need a business address and phone number to create an account. I don't know why you couldn't use your own name and address as the business name and address but that may not be exactly what they want......

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=converter

The above tool does not work on 64bit windows at this point as it cannot call the 64bit VSS service.

The other link takes the approach of using Acronis to restore an image on the Virtual machine.

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/4078

The above exercise is a bit more of an "advanced" VM technique.

I would suggest you start by doing a simple install.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    Two links, the first is within the VMware website and you need a business address and phone number to create an account. I don't know why you couldn't use your own name and address as the business name and address but that may not be exactly what they want......

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=converter

The above tool does not work on 64bit windows at this point as it cannot call the 64bit VSS service.

The other link takes the approach of using Acronis to restore an image on the Virtual machine.

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/4078
    mercyh,
    Hello.. i have been trying out this program and think that for me ....I need to find a way (work around) to be able to install a .tib backup (OS) to the virtual disk ( the Acronis link has mixed results).. As installing the original OS's with all the bloatware , etc and reinstalling my programs makes my head hurt just thinking about. Another question.... If i manage to find a way and install an OS ( "Virtual" ) and install a program to it, to test... Say it trashes the OS for whatever reason .. is this now a permanent condition of the virtual OS ? Do you now have to re-load the original (from CD \ or .tib image) ? Or is it like Acronis "Try& Decide" in that you can choose whether or not to keep the change? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The VMware Player (free) is a stripped down version of VMware Workstation ($190). Workstation includes the ability to Snapshot, this is not an option in Player, however, the entire hard drive lives in a single file. You can easily make a copy of this file at any point and use it as a reference point to which you can revert by attaching it as the hard drive instead of the current file.

These files can get quite large (whatever the used space on a hard drive might be) so TB sized drives soon become a necessity if you are saving multiple versions of your machines. I

If you have the plus pack for Acronis and it will not restore an image to a virtual machine, I would question their claim that it can actually do a restore to dissimilar hardware.....

I am working on a tutorial of how to install a new guest OS on VMware player and some of the settings and what they do. I will also show what the final virtual hard disk file looks like.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Another question.... If i manage to find a way and install an OS ( "Virtual" ) and install a program to it, to test... Say it trashes the OS for whatever reason .. is this now a permanent condition of the virtual OS ? Do you now have to re-load the original (from CD \ or .tib image) ? Or is it like Acronis "Try& Decide" in that you can choose whether or not to keep the change?
    As long as you have a snapshot (or whatever similar term the specific VM software calls it) you can roll back to the condition that existed when you booted the virtual image.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How to install a new Virtual machine on VMware player.

Some things to know before you start.

Download and install Player from the link in the previous post on this thread. You will also need an OS that you are licensed to install, In our example we will use Kubuntu Linux.

1. Open VMware player and click on Create a New Virtual Machine.
    [attachment=89526:VM1.JPG]

2. You will see the New Virtual Machine Wizard start and will have the options of selecting your install source or installing the operating system later.
    [attachment=89527:vm2.JPG]

We will be using the kubuntu .ISO to install for our example. You can use a physical DVD that is in your physical machine's drive, or you can select an ISO file. The virtual machine will mount and boot the ISO exactly the same as a real disk.
    [attachment=89528:vm3.JPG]

3. Player will recognize most common OS's and will present an Easy Install setup. We will look at some of the settings later if this is not presented. In this case it will supply the user name and password and the physical name of the machine. We will use test as our user and test as our password.
    [attachment=89529:vm4.JPG]

4. Next we will give the name that Player will use for this machine and the location to store its configuration file and virtual hard drive file.
    [attachment=89530:vm5.JPG]

5. We will now tell Player how big we want to allow the virtual hard drive to grow. We are going to give this one just 20GB as it is just a sample and will not be used for long. This size can be changed anytime down the road should the machine grow larger than originally planned.
    [attachment=89531:vm6.JPG]

6. We now see the settings that the wizard has created for us if we click Finish now with the Power On box checked the machine will boot from the ISO we have pointed too.
    [attachment=89532:vm7.JPG]

Instead of hitting Finish, we are going to click the Customize Hardware button and have a look at the "insides" of this thing.

6.1 The first thing we will look at is memory. With the slider we can allocate how much memory the VM is allowed to use. I am giving this one only 512mb.
    [attachment=89533:vm8memory.JPG]

6.2 The next thing we will look at is how many cores of the processor it can see. I am running a quad core Intel but will give this machine only one.
    [attachment=89534:vm9proces.JPG]

6.3 Here is where we set how the DVD is used. It can either use the physical drive, an ISO or not be connected at all.

[attachment=89522:vm10cd.JPG]

6.4 Network is a little trickier. Here we have 4 options Not connected, Host-only (this creates a network with only the Host machine), NAT (this is like putting the VM behind a router. It can browse the LAN but the LAN machines cannot see it), Bridged (this is exactly like it is another physical machine attached to your network, It shows up as totally separate from the host machine.)
    [attachment=89523:vm11network.JPG]

7. We now are going to hit OK and hit the finish button on the install Wizard. (counting from here the rest of the process took 14 minutes.) As soon as we hit finish the machine boots and the kubuntu install starts running.

[attachment=89524:vm12install.JPG]

8. 14 minutes later the installer reboots the machine and I am looking at a kubuntu login.

[attachment=89525:vm13booted.JPG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is what the installed machine looks like,

[attachment=89535:1vm.JPG]

(If I had more then one machine installed, each would be listed here.)

I can start the machine either by double clicking it or highlighting it and clicking Play.

[attachment=89536:2vm.JPG]

Here are the files for the machine. The .VMX is the configuration file and the .VMDK is the hard drive.

[attachment=89537:3vm.JPG]

I can totally remove this machine by deleting those files. (no messing with bootloaders, etc.) I can share them with a friend by copying them to a hard drive and giving them to him or letting him download them from my website. I can do a complete backup by making a copy of the .VMDK and then can reattach that copy as another VM if I wish.

One thing to be aware of, The VM hardware is IDENTICAL from one machine to another. This means that I can install software and move it around without worrying about drivers and HAL issues. It is also likely to test your honesty as moving from one machine to another or cloning the install by copying the VMDK file will not kick off the activation wizard once a program has been activated. Remember EACH virtual machine is a separate computer as far as the OS's EULA is concerned.

This base Kubuntu install boots to the user login in 14 seconds

Thanks
    @mercyh: Thanks for a very useful tutorial. Of course, it was just too late for me!

Greetings. I repeat my comments in a post to the Thread "Dual Boot Tutorial" (http://bro.ws/777106L) here for continuity:

NOTE: To run 64 bit with a 32 bit Host OS you need to have hardware that supports hardware virtualization and turn it on in the BIOS.

"I installed windows 7 64-bit in VMware Player last night on my windows 7 32-bit system. Works a dream (It will be interesting to see if my process ties in with your intended tutorial! Edit: It does!). Of course, proper testing of RAM usage is not possible because of the RAM-sharing taking place between the 32-bit "host" system and the 64-bit virtual system. I will now try various programs and test some hardware for driver functionality before, most likely, fully replacing my 32 bit installation with a full 64-bit one.

Three points of interest: VMware allows access to my printer from within the 64-bit system via the host (32-bit) OS, and does not require it to be installed with a 64-bit driver under the virtual syhstem. Similarly, the virtual machine accesses the internet using the 32-bit host LAN adapter and does not require the 64-bit driver to be installed. The 64-bit OS is unable(refuses) to install the 64-bit driver for my video card (presumably because the 32-bit driver is needed to run the 32-bit system?????). I DID, however, have to install a 64-bit driver on the virtual OS to enable use of my scanner---Any way, that's what I observed before I finally gave in to the need to get some shut-eye at 0300 local time this morning. (It is now 0900!)

Legal note:
    Microsoft, by the way, advised me on the 'phone, that the trial period (before activation must be performed) does not "count" as far as violating EULAs is concerned. ie, I have a licensed, activated Windows 7 32-bit installation on my desktop. I have the non-activated 64-bit version on my virtual drive--This is "legal". One would not be permitted to activate the 64-bit version while the 32 bit version was still installed, unless the product EULA permitted this.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    mercyh,
    Thanks for that tutorial ! I am still playing around with trying to get VMware to use an "Image" to make a Virtual OS .. but so far no joy. Do you know anything about VMware-converter 4.0.1 ? (also free) From reading the "notes " on it says that ( unless I'm not reading correctly) it can be used with Acronis, StorageCraft, etc. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    mercyh,

Once again you get a big thumbs up. Very informative tutorial. This is what I think allows these forums to blossom for those that are not more than novice users and are afraid to try something new. This tutorial ranks right up with our back up tutorials. Thanks much. Cheers! Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you know anything about VMware-converter 4.0.1 ?
    I have only attempted to use it to do a Physical to Virtual (P2V) conversion of a 64bit windows Server 2008 R2. It is one of those tools that is supposed to be able to be run on a live running machine that will create a virtual clone of the machine. It was unsuccessful for me in this case as it uses windows Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) to perform the task and at this time it does not know how to call the 64bit version of VSS. I would definitely give it a try on the .tib image and see what happens.

This is where you may get a good conversion but the boot image may bluescreen as the HAL will not be correct. I still say that if the Acronis Plus pack cannot restore to the virtual machine, I would very much doubt that it can actually restore to dissimilar hardware as advertised........

Another tool that I have used for P2V on Microsoft Virtual Machines is disk2vhd from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../ee656415.aspx

Player will run a .vhd file for Microsoft Virtual PC but I don't know how well a converted disk will behave. This also has a wierd limitation that the physical partition to be converted cannot be more than 127GB as it creates the virtual disk as an IDE disk instead of SCSI.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    To do a restore from an image, try the following.....

1.Start Player and click the Add new machine as shown above. When the wizard starts, select I Will install the OS later.
    [attachment=89549:1vm.JPG]

2. Select the OS and the version you intend to install. IF it is not listed, select the Other button.
    [attachment=89551:2vm.JPG]

3. Give the machine a name and a place to live....
    [attachment=89553:3vm.JPG]

4. Specify the disk capacity. THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT. The capacity here must MATCH or be greater than the size of the partition you are restoring. (not the size of the data on the partition)
    [attachment=89555:4vm.JPG]

5. Hit finish
    [attachment=89550:5vm.JPG]

>>here we have two options. You can put the restore disk in the CD drive on your physical computer and start the virtual machine. This will boot the machine on the restore disk and start the normal restore process. The Virtual Machine should be able to browse the network shares on the physical machine so be sure to share the location on the physical machine that contains the image. You will also probably need to temporarily disable the Physical Machine's firewall as the VM possibly will not be on the trusted subnet on your firewall....

IF you want to use the ISO of the restore disk follow the additional steps below...

6. In the Player window, highlight the new machine and click Edit virtual machine settings.
    [attachment=89552:6vm.JPG]

7. Click on the CD\DVD drive and select Use ISO image. Point Player at the image on your physical hard drive. (I am using Macrium Reflect's Restore ISO)
    [attachment=89554:7vm.JPG]

Click OK at the bottom and start the machine. When the restore program asks for the image location go to the network share and select the image you wish to restore....

REMEMBER, the VM program does not format or partition the hard drive file. This is the same as pulling a brand new unpartitioned drive out the box and installing it. If your restore program cannot partition and format the drive you will have to do it before you can restore. This will need to be done with a third party tool such as the windows install disk or another bootable partitioning and formatting tool.

IMPORTANT, If this is an image of a machine that is already on your network, be sure to boot it the first time with the NETWORK set to DO NOT CONNECT. After it is booted change the Machine (computer) name and if you have a Static IP address assigned to it, change it to something unused or set it to Obtain an Address automatically. You will have all kinds of nice conflicts on your network if you connect identical machines at the same time......

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    mercyh,
    Hello... I have one more question and then i will give it a go for real ... I would like to use my Windows 7 \ 64 (present OS) as a Virtual machine..So that i can use it to try new software, web surfing, etc, without putting the "real OS at risk...kinda like a Virtual form of "Try& Decide" Is this possible? Thanks for all you help Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is possible, however, you cannot legally activate it as this would be considered installing it on another machine (unless your license allows multiple installs). I would really encourage you to clean install it instead of trying to restore the image but if you are into spending time trying to figure out how to make things work go ahead and do the image restore, it won't take long and it may just work... I would expect that you will have to reactivate it as this will look like totally different hardware than the original machine.

If you are thinking that you want to keep it in the same state as your original install, how do you propose to maintain this state as you install and change things on the physical machine?

Any time you want to copy the State of the System, just make a copy of the VMDK file and reattach it to the VM when you want to go back....

This is where a technet subscription is great.....

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...1&#entry847871

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

You need to study what this line:

3.Don't mount/attach this image on the original machine if you plan on booting from it as Windows will detect the duplicate disk ID and will change it, invalidating the BCD disk references.

from the following tutorial means before you try what you are purposing.....

http://www.macrium.com/KB/Knowledgeb...icle50005.aspx

(I personally have never tried to convert physical to virtual (P2V) a machine and then boot the resulting virtual machine on the original physical machine..)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast