2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks
    I recently physically moved a computer from NC to my summertime residence in Maine to replace an older machine. This computer had two email profiles/accounts, one for me and one for my wife and has worked properly in NC for many years with our two email addresses. I was able to set up my Time Warner email profile/account to work correctly here (including all my contacts) by associating the data file (Outlook1.pst) with that account and then laboriously delete saved emails which I don't need anymore here, so all seems to be well with that account. However, I do not seem to be able to make the data file for my wife's profile/account (which is Outlook2.pst) work properly at all. My ISP in NC is Charter Communications and here in Maine it is Time Warner- Roadrunner. The Time Warner tech support people tell me that it is not possible to have two email profile/accounts in Outlook which I obviously know is not the case since I had been running that way for many years with Time Warner on the old computer.

If anyone has any suggestions which could lead me into the promised land, I (and my wife, for sure) would most certainly appreciate it! BTW, there are several other .pst files on this machine which I would like to delete. Is this OK to do and, if so, what is the approved procedure?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiledMainer View Post
    I do not seem to be able to make the data file for my wife's profile/account (which is Outlook2.pst) work properly at all. My ISP in NC is Charter Communications and here in Maine it is Time Warner- Roadrunner.
    What are the symptoms -- particular error messages attempting to send and receive? If so, what are the errors?

Some ISPs actually do prevent access through other networks, but that is very rare. If you search online for posts relating to, say, mobile access to your ISP, you should be able to determine whether Charter is one of those.

BTW, there are several other .pst files on this machine which I would like to delete. Is this OK to do and, if so, what is the approved procedure?
    If the contents of those PSTs (old emails, contacts, calendar entries) are no longer important, you can delete them as you would delete any file. HOWEVER, to avoid irritating "phantom" PSTs, it is important to first remove them from any profile to which they might be attached.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jscher2000, Thanks for your reply!

This problem is associated with the Time Warner account on the "new" computer which was working perfectly well for both our emails when it was in NC with Charter as the ISP.

I do not get any error messages. The problem seems to be that I am unable to properly attach Outlook2.pst to my wife's account (email address kbyxoyuzng@maine.rr.com) even though I am designating that (I think!) as the data file. This file is fairly large but has not reached the 2GB limit for Outlook 2002 (XP). If I send a test message to her email address, it will be received in my email account, gwyxoyuzng@maine.rr.com which is in line with what the Time Warner techs are telling me but which I know to be incorrect.

I have deleted all the superfluous .pst files and now have only the two which are/should be associated with our present Time Warner email accounts. Hope I have not screwed anything up by doing this...

Thanks
    If I send a test message to her email address, it will be received in my email account, gwyxoyuzng@maine.rr.com which is in line with what the Time Warner techs are telling me but which I know to be incorrect.
    That's confusing. Either TW is forwarding from one account to the other, or somehow you got both email addresses set up in one profile. You can call up the Field Chooser in the Inbox and add the Account field to see which it is.

Having one address in each profile, and one PST in each profile, should work, regardless of the ISP.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jscher200-

Thanks for your last post. I did delete the "superfluous" .pst files. After that I did some more playing around and now have both accounts running as they should. I have to admit I have only the vaguest idea of what I did but it worked! However, now there is one new problem- I seem to have lost all contacts for both accounts. If you (or anyone) can help me recover my lost contact files, I should be fully back in business. BTW, it will give me great pleasure to contact Time Warner tech support and inform them I have done what they told me could not be done in Outlook!!!

One other item- I would like to delete many (if not most) of the previously saved Charter emails in my wife's personal folders and subfolders of which there are MANY. Her pst file is about 1.5GB in size. Is there is any quick and relatively painless way to do this? I know I can do this manually by brute force but that could take a good bit of time and effort.

Thanks
    I did delete the "superfluous" .pst files. After that I did some more playing around and now have both accounts running as they should. I have to admit I have only the vaguest idea of what I did but it worked! However, now there is one new problem- I seem to have lost all contacts for both accounts.
    That sounds drastic, but...

If the problem is that Outlook is not autocompleting addresses, but you can click the To button and find them in the Address Book, this is normal for a new profile because the "nickname" file is linked to the profile for which it was created. Outlook will gradually rebuild its autocomplete file as you address messages.

If your Address Book is empty but you have your contacts in the Contacts folder, you simply have to wire them back together. Check out Post #334705.

If you didn't use your Contacts folder and instead used a "Personal Address Book" (.pab file) to store addresses, you can add that as a data file (service?) to your profile. It typically would be stored in the same folder as your PST file.

If your Contacts folder is empty and you have no PAB, then unfortunately you will need to restore your other PSTs and check them to see where your Contacts are....

Thanks
    One other item- I would like to delete many (if not most) of the previously saved Charter emails in my wife's personal folders and subfolders of which there are MANY. Her pst file is about 1.5GB in size. Is there is any quick and relatively painless way to do this? I know I can do this manually by brute force but that could take a good bit of time and effort.
    The AutoArchive feature can cull by date, but you may have to set it up for each subfolder, so hopefully others will have better suggestions. Maybe there's a great add-in that makes it easier.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jscher200-

Thanks for your continuing support! I thought that contacts were part of the associated .pst files but, again, what do I know. Pst files are like black magic to me and, quite frankly, confuse the hell out of me. As a point of interest, the same contacts I am looking for are also on the NC computer so could probably be retrieved from there (???) using my LogMeIn remote access. If I can get the contacts back in place, I will worry about deleting emails at a later date.