Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: hiberfil.sys ?

  1. #1
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,202
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Hello all,
    Just wondering ... Anyone have any ideas what this (hiberfil.sys) is about ? Noticed that it is associated with Windows "7" and not "Vista" and as i do not have "hibernate " active and the names are similar .. What could it be ? Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,572
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It is the file used by Hibernation. If you have hibernation disabled you should be able to delete it.

    Joe
    Joe

  3. #3
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Hello all,
    Just wondering ... Anyone have any ideas what this (hiberfil.sys) is about ? Noticed that it is associated with Windows "7" and not "Vista" and as i do not have "hibernate " active and the names are similar .. What could it be ? Regards Fred
    Hibernation uses this file to store your data in when you hibernate. I do not use hibernate, so I disabled it and deleted the hiberfil.sys file. Gained about 2 GB back. Cheers! Ted

    oops, sorry did not read further to see that JoeP had already answered this. My bad
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  4. #4
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,202
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Hi Ted,
    Just a Question ....How did you disable "Hibernate" Been doing some "googling " around and found some "Command" and also some "Reg Edit" ways .... I thought that i had it disabled using "Power Options" but it seems that the "hiberfil.sys" is still there And without "unlocker" it seems un-deletable for now ? Even though its not visible as an option anywhere that i can see. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,572
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Just a Question ....How did you disable "Hibernate" Been doing some "googling " around and found some "Command" and also some "Reg Edit" ways .... I thought that i had it disabled using "Power Options" but it seems that the "hiberfil.sys" is still there
    Use an elevated command prompt and enter "powercfg -h off" (without the quotation marks). re-boot. Then you should be able to deleted the file.

    See Powercfg Command-Line Options for details.

    Joe
    Joe

  6. #6
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,202
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Use an elevated command prompt and enter "powercfg -h off" (without the quotation marks). re-boot. Then you should be able to deleted the file.

    See Powercfg Command-Line Options for details.

    Joe
    Joe ,
    That worked ...Thank you ! Regards Fred
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

  7. #7
    Super Moderator RetiredGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manning, South Carolina
    Posts
    9,434
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fred,

    What directory is that file in? I turned off hibernation per instructions then searched for the file and couldn't find it. I've un-hidden system files, etc in file options.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

    RG

    PowerShell & VBA Rule!

    My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    12,560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    It is at the root of the OS drive (c) on most machines!

    Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

  9. #9
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,202
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Fred,

    What directory is that file in? I turned off hibernation per instructions then searched for the file and couldn't find it. I've un-hidden system files, etc in file options.
    Hi Geekster,
    Look in your C: ... just scroll down ... Its not in a folder \ file... it exists "hiberfil.sys" all on it's own. Regards Fred
    PS: if you turn off hibernate as per instructions .. it will be removed automatically.
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •