New Lounger
    Thanks
    When my laptop is in my office, I want to use it by a remote-desktop (RDP) connection from my office desktop computer. I would like to boot it to the welcome screen, but instead of logging in, I'd like to just close the lid and login via RDP. The trouble is, after a few minutes, the laptop goes to sleep because that's the Windows default, and the RDP connection is lost.

I can work around this by logging in to my account on the laptop, where I have the power options configured so nothing shuts off when AC power is connected, and nothing happens when the lid closes. But I'd rather not have to log in just for the sake of setting the power options.

Is there any way of setting the start-up power options ("plan?") that are in effect before one logs in to a user account? I've searched the Web -- and the Lounge -- and couldn't find an answer right away, so perhaps it's a "Windows Secret." :-)

Not a big issue, but interesting. Any ideas? Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe.

A couple of the ideas in that thread look promising. I will try them out in a day or so and post the result.

-Earl