Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

INTRODUCTION

It's been 20 years of investigative journalism

By Brian Livingston

When I started writing articles for technology magazines 20 years ago, I wondered whether the principles of investigative journalism could be applied to the computer industry.

Little did I know then that there was an endless supply of dirt to be dug up.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/08/05/01 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 15:41.

Thanks
    Brian -

It's been quite a ride, eh? I can't even remember how long we've known each other. You've taught me much. Some of it actually stuck, I think.

Sorry to see you go, but I know you'll be back.

Now... when can we get you out to Phuket???
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Farewell, Brian. It's been a long, strange, and ultimately satisfying trip through Infoworld, your books, and your contributions to Brian's Buzz and Windows Secrets Newsletter all these years. You and your colleagues here have made for interesting Thursdays for me for a very long time.

I wish you well in your future projects, and I hope you will drop us a line here in The Lounge or in the newsletter from time to time to let us know what you are up to.

As for your retirement form Windows Secrets, you have earned a long, peaceful rest. But I know you will not remain on vacation forever. I expect the best of your work is yet to come.

Thank you for your leadership in revealing the secrets which Microsoft often would rather we Windows users would not know. Your tips and tricks have made my life with Windows much easier in many ways.

As for the future around here, I know Tracey's work, and I believe we are in very capable hands now. And Woody Leonhard, as well as all of the other contributors, will offer a unique and informative experience moving forwards, as well as some lively debates and discussions.

The best is truly yet to come!
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Best wishes, Brian, and thanks for what you've done for our industry.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian,

This announcement comes as a shock to all of us in the IT community. Your insight will be missed by many of us who have followed your writings over the years. Hoping your future days are long and many. You are to be congratulated for the staff you have put in place to carry forward providing and discussing Windows Secrets.

Should you find the need to edit or correct some spelling in the days ahead please feel free to stop by here

Thanks for all the years of dedication to writing about the things we needed to know.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Job well done Brian! Congratulations!
    When you're done relaxing, would love to talk to you about presenting a session to the Minneapolis chapter of STC (Society of Technical Communication). Since I can't contact you directly, please put epotter at krollontrack dot com in your address book and drop me an email. (I'm still working on getting to Machu Pichu myself and Phuket can't be far behind! )

Happy Retirement
    Eileen Potter

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for all of your articles and books, which have saved me countless hours of frustration and made computing so much easier and more productive. It won't be quite the same without you around, but you deserve to go do something for yourself for awhile, so enjoy.

Good luck!

Stan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So we have Brian Livingston outing the AOL/Democrat filter as the root cause of the out of control Liberalism destroying our country, eh? For twenty years I have always wondered.

Brian - have enjoyed your work for two decades. Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Zorn View Post
    So we have Brian Livingston outing the AOL/Democrat filter as the root cause of the out of control Liberalism destroying our country, eh? For twenty years I have always wondered.

Brian - have enjoyed your work for two decades. Thanks.
    LOL...

http://news.cnet.com/2010-1071-281304.html

Brian Livingston
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen Potter View Post
    Since I can't contact you directly ...
    You can always reach me using the contact form at BrianLivingston.com, and e-mails of a personal nature sent to me via Windows Secrets will continue to be forwarded to me, too.

I very much appreciate all the warm and thoughtful messages I've received today from people who've been reading my columns over the years. I'm looking forward to a break from deadlines, yes, but fortunately I'm not actually dead, so who knows where I'll pop up.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Have a great time, Brian! You will be missed. I have enjoyed your writing over the years. Hope to hear from you now and then. Best regards.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your past articles. I have enjoyed them for many years.

As for retirement, I did a few months ago and now wonder how I found time to go to a job.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian,

I'm sorry to see you go; I've been an avid reader for a while now; I still have your "Windows 3.1 Secrets" on my shelf I hope you enjoy your new adventures, whatever they may be!

Thanks
    As a recent newcomer to WSL and a self taught pc user I can recognize quality when I see it. As we say in Scotland 'lang mae yer lum reek' Translations availabe on request.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Brian,

Welcome to my world! Retired Geeks Forever. I've been following you for most of your career and have always valued your advice. Now it's my turn...ENJOY!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast